Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

c-shape or bow?

Forum for kitesurfers

next years most used kite shape: c-shape or bow?

c-shape
49%
bow
51%

Total votes: 191

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

c-shape or bow?

Postby Toby » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:23 pm

Which shape do you think will be mostly seen on the water in about 6-12 month from now on: c-shape or bow?

You can also comment your decision by replying to this topic.

In a few weeks it will be moved into the Polls section and here we can find it easily in about 6-12 month and look back and see if the majority was right or wrong.

Interesting poll and topic, keep it clean and informative.

Thanks
Toby
Last edited by Toby on Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phillipp
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Phillipp » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:36 pm

Toby,

I think Bow kites will become more dominant as the time goes for the following reasons:
1. They are a more efficient shape and will therefore dominate (I'm sure there will be many modifications and refinements, but the 'flat kite' principle will remain)
2. They are great for beginners and people just wanting to have a great time in the water
3. They are generally safer
4. They are likely to be the kites on which the new students will be taught on creating a clear purchase preference
5. They probably will require a lower financial commitment to the sport. People will be able to have just one or two kites in their quiver instead of 3 or 4
6. Less gear to travel with and less likely to pay excess bagage fees

So to really pull a figure out of my b.....

In 6 months 15% of all kites will be Bow-Style kites
In 12 months 35-40% of all kites will be Bow-Style kites

P

Detlef
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Cabarete, Cumbuco.
Gear: Kites: Best TS, Board: Best Armada

Postby Detlef » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:40 pm

I still have C-shape kites, but in August I could test the Crossbow 12 from Susi Mai in Cabarete and I got the experience:

++ fast, huge wind range, gust killer, big hang time, good for wave riding.
- indirect steering, some bar pressure.

So I think, my next kite will be a bow ( / SLE) kite.

Detlef
http://gallery.kiteforum.com/gallery/vi ... me=albuq06
Last edited by Detlef on Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:43 pm

I think Bow kites will dominate soon. Especially if some cheaper brands start getting into the bow style.

FoolKitten

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:24 pm

it will take more than one season, guys dont chnage every year.

stefannn
Medium Poster

Postby stefannn » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:00 pm

the future is foils,
well maybe, that is

The Jess-Man
Very Frequent Poster

Postby The Jess-Man » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:26 pm

These current designed bow kites will more then likely be non existent next year. I can almost gurantee it. Two reasons:

1. As soon as people start to realize how rediculous it is to be pumping up a foil wanna be kite they are just going to start flying foils. Why go through all the mess of haveing bridles and pump up a kite when you don't have too. These are the first generation Bow kite and how long have people been developing foils? 10+ years. Look at all the problems with the cross bow. If I buy a new kite I want to be able to take it right out of the bag and fly it. Not have to go on the internet and find out how to tweak it, adjust it, take things off the bar, buy new parts and jerry rig things together just so that it flys well. The first time I flew my new flysurfer I took it out of the bag. and set the kite a ball on the beach. streched the lines out and gave them a little tug. Less then 10 sec my kite unfolded it's self, inflated and was up in the air ready to go.

2. I think the perfect example of the a company that is showing us how obsolite Bow kites already are is Cabrinha themselves. First they release the Crossbow which is fairly flat then a few months latter they realease the Switchblade which now is stating to get a more of a C shape to it. So now you tell me what the next natural progession is going to be? How about the "Fish Hook." Cabrinha's new flat kite with bridles and true C shape design? Give me a break.

No. These current bow kites have been obsolite since they came out. If you want to fly a bow kite go fly a foil.

JS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JS » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:32 pm

Having already stated my opinion on the evolution of flatter kites, I'm going to try and find the strength to stay out of this discussion for a while, except to say this:

Jack Spratt could eat no fat, his wife could eat no lean
And so betwixt the two of them they licked the platter clean.

kiterfighter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiterfighter » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:50 pm

Ihave already gone on record as saying the bow is the future of kiting. I think it will take more than one season though. Bows, at least refined ones, will dominate.

vide
Very Frequent Poster

Postby vide » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:45 am

Are you serious jess-man? If so, you are pretty ignorant or uninformed.

People were debating foils V's inflatables on fourms online 7 years ago. Back then, there were probably more foils than inflatables. It seemd at times that foils might have a chance. While they are good on land, I have never once seen a foil on the water that looked like it would offer a good experience. Foil die hard cruisers may disagree.

Inflatables are rigid. thats why they turn so directly and have so much stability. Flying a crossbow is nothing like flying a parachute.

The innovation in the crossbow is that it has all the benefits of an inflatable, but in a more powerful design for size, with unlimited top end.

The C concept is still part of the bow design. The very simple bridle provides the same c shape of a C kite. The ktie sits above that and can be flatter. The front conenction points are further forward, and that combined with a flatter wing than can pivot without distorting the kite shape gives you the Bow.

It nothing like a foil.

I actually think there will be more C kites being used in 6-12 months. But the more important question is what will most new kite sales be in 6-12 months? I bet Bows.

The current crossbow already offer more range and power control for water use than any other kite that has existed before, c kite, foil or otherwise.

Some pros dont like it, because they have to learn how to get the most out of it before they can confidently pull the tricks they are pulling with their current kites. But that will change.

2006 will be the year of waves, and the year of the bow. No doubt...

Return to “Kitesurfing”