Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

c-shape or bow?

Forum for kitesurfers

next years most used kite shape: c-shape or bow?

c-shape
49%
bow
51%

Total votes: 191

niko
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby niko » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:33 am

Foxi wrote:most used = c-shapes

most sold = bows and alike
thats a good comment , Foxi, I know you from ktiesurfing-kiel.de but this posting is really a quiet good statement.

Many people will by those awful kites, but the good rider who are joining the surface ...

dens1
Medium Poster

Postby dens1 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:58 am

Bow!!!

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OBX
Gear: Airush, Switch, Pansh, Kites, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards

Postby bay surfer » Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:32 pm

You cant have a Bow without the bar, you need the huge range of depower. If you put a crossbow bar with a Wind wing kite with safe you have the same amount of depower. Bows and foils dont sit as good parked low, Cs have more vertical wing sitting low parked.
A wing is a wing and we will use because we like how it works. Some like depower fast turning. Some like power and fast turning, etc etc.
The Bow kite just fills a empty Nitch that was there.

Diego K
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Isla del Ciervo
Favorite Beaches: Isla del Ciervo, Calblanque,Coche island
Style: Freeride - waves - freestyle
Gear: Cult 2009 10.5m and 7.5
Thorn 2007 129x39.5

Surfboard Sold

Postby Diego K » Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:27 pm

This is what I think, bow kites are for waves. There are no good for free style.
Non of the cabrinha rider is using it for competition.
In dont think that bow kites will be dominant, it has a lot of good things but also a lot of contras.
Time will tell, lets see what happens in 1 year, where I live there are no bow kites. Maybe in Coche I'll have the chance of trying them, then I will write again

bignick
Medium Poster

Postby bignick » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:48 am

Bows for me are a far better kite to fly, and in waves they rule for sure.

The one big advantage I also see is they relaunch so easily and that is what a beginner wants, why spend time swimming and farting about for ages, when all you have to do is pull on a steering line and up she goes!!.
More time flying and learning new moves with confidence of not getting hauled and haveing the shit kicked out of you, this destoyrs confidence and has put many a beginner off for good!!.

Not all people who will want to get into the sport in the future will have come from a water sport background like a good deal of today's kitesurfers, and to have to confidence in a relaunch sytem and full de-power I think will outway any advante a C kite has.

I have riden both for long enough to make the choice, and have now sold all my C kites as they are just
hard work compared to the Bow's. I only have two kites now and spend more time on the water as a result, no coming in to change with the wind speed!!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:50 pm

bignick wrote:Bows for me are a far better kite to fly, and in waves they rule for sure.

The one big advantage I also see is they relaunch so easily and that is what a beginner wants, why spend time swimming and farting about for ages, when all you have to do is pull on a steering line and up she goes!!.
More time flying and learning new moves with confidence of not getting hauled and haveing the shit kicked out of you, this destoyrs confidence and has put many a beginner off for good!!.

Not all people who will want to get into the sport in the future will have come from a water sport background like a good deal of today's kitesurfers, and to have to confidence in a relaunch sytem and full de-power I think will outway any advante a C kite has.

I have riden both for long enough to make the choice, and have now sold all my C kites as they are just
hard work compared to the Bow's. I only have two kites now and spend more time on the water as a result, no coming in to change with the wind speed!!
I agree - very well said :thumb:

Here we use the bows for kiteschool now.

So much easier to teach - especially on land, it is so much safer !

We also show and maybe demonstrate/teach how a "C" kite looks/works - but only so they are aware of the principles in those :roll:

And when we are out riding, with the exact same Bow kites they are using on kiteschool - they fully understand that you dont need a "beginner" and "intermediate" and "pro" kite anymore.
There is a kite for ALL levels :thumb:

I was very reserved with the bow kites the first two months...
Apparently because I was so used to "C" kites, that it took very long to adapt to Bow kites.
But suddenly, it changed, as I discovered more and more positive sides - and from now on I go Bow :P

The odd thing is, that I am very often planning to take a C kite out to compare - but because the bows are getting better and better every day you practice, I havent done it once the last month :roll:

Kindly, Peter Frank

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:06 am

Took out a "C" shape yesterday.
I am amazed that we went through all those years and are still here to talk about them.
Okay we know how to use a "C' now, but the difference is like night and day.
I hope evryone gets to see the light, even if it is a bit later.
Nico

vide
Very Frequent Poster

Postby vide » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:28 am

Nico

I suspect a lot of the critcis havn't even used one yet, or have used one for 5 minutes and freaked out becuase it felt different to what they are used to.

I remember a windsurfer telling me 5 years back that they didn't NEED a kite becuase they had just bought a big sail for light winds. Go figure...

jasevinda
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jasevinda » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:18 am

I think Bow style kite needs to be given time to test. you cant just jump on it and expect to ride away.

People are certainly too quick to flame it. With development we all know its gonna get better nd better.

fly62
Medium Poster

Postby fly62 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:14 pm

BOW
off course

Return to “Kitesurfing”