Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Lessons in Barbados?

Forum for kitesurfers
nicor
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Lessons in Barbados?

Postby nicor » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:56 pm

I'm in Barbados with my buddy and looking for a good place to have lessons. We're both beginners. Any recommendations? Is the West side OK too, seems like the wind comes mostly from the east.

Hopefully we can book something tomorrow

Thanks

Scott

cyberdog1899
Rare Poster
Style: f*** knows
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Lessons in Barbados?

Postby cyberdog1899 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:43 pm

Only South east coast I'm afraid. 2 schools there in Silver Sands. Not best place to learn as You get decent waves/shore dump and no shallows but if You learn there You'll fly anywhere else. Go for it!

Mr_Weetabix
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Mr_Weetabix » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:42 pm

You won't see any kites on the West coast - the wind's always offshore. There are a few schools in the South - google "kitesurf barbados" and see what you can find. They're all OK, as far as I know. Lessons are either on Long Beach (lots of space, choppy, fierce shore break) or at Silver Rock/Silver Sands (flatter water and less shore break but not much space and lots of kites, windsurfers etc).

Enjoy...

nicor
Frequent Poster

Postby nicor » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:49 pm

I’m back in snowy Canada enjoying the minus 14 degree weather and will breakout the snowboard shortly. I will just complete this post by reporting that we were able to book some lessons with Endless Kiteboarding at the Silver Sands located South East of Barbados. I don’t think its possible to kite on the west side of the island due to the predominate wind direction.

Day 1: our instructor brought us out to Long Beach, just north of Silver Sands, although it was a huge beautiful beach, the shore break did not make it appropriate for beginners. Beginners need to body drag through the break to deeper water to begin kiting. I’m not a complete beginner so I was able to do this. My friend who has never kited only practiced with the trainer on land.

Day 2: we stayed at Silver Sands, less shore break and much better for beginners, but still not ideal because it is a small area will lots of other beginners and some shore break. Both my friend and I were able to get in the water and kite.

Barbados is a great place to kite if you know what you’re doing, but definitely not the best place to take lessons, but we still had a great time.

Scott

Return to “Kitesurfing”