Hatteras - September

Forum for kitesurfers
lewmt
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mtns
Brand Affiliation: None

Hatteras - September

Postby lewmt » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:50 am

Airline tickets are cheap & places to stay are reasonable so I'm planning a trip to Hatteras the 19th-25th of Sept. I know its mid-hurricane season so it's a bit of rolling the dice but beyond that what is typical during Sept. there? Kite sizes I should bring? Hoping for more ocean side riding than flat water but its all good. What's the best place to rent a surf board down there? I'm going to pack my TT but seems like the perfect place to try the surf board(will be new to that). Is Real or KHK the best or one of the smaller shops? Any need for wet suit by that time of year? Always nice to pack as light as possible.

Thanks for any tips or help in advance.

DeeTron508
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Slick
Style: Awesome
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Hatteras - September

Postby DeeTron508 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:45 pm

Wind in Sept is great, tends to be NE or SW which both work for flat water or ocean side if you are willing to drive. REAL will have the biggest selection of surfboards but if you are looking for certain brands (cabrinha, north) you will have to check other places. Water temp varies a lot in the sound as it is shallow; NE for a few days and the temp drops to the 3 day avg of the air, opposite for SW. The ocean tends to be still warm with the Gulf right there, generally a 3/2 is the most I need at that time.

Check Ikitesurf for wind tables, depending on the storms etc its usually a good time.

-DH

lewmt
Frequent Poster

Postby lewmt » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:40 pm

Thx DH. I had looked on windfinder and Sept outlook wasn't that great - which is why I posted...way more stoked now. Hoping there's that possibility for a hurricane way offshore that sends in max swell but then I kite lakes mostly so maybe that would kick my ass. Are NEsters usually super rough there? I was out there in June with a couple of days of solid NE wind and it was fun and large but super choppy and hard to get dialed.

Not particular to any brand surfboard...just wanting to get my 1st taste of that aspect.

average rider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Omaezaki, Chiba
Favorite Beaches: The windy ones with clean waves and no people
Style: waves
Gear: RRD

Postby average rider » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:22 am

Closer to the time if the conditions look good I would book a surfboard. They have a good selection down there but when I went with some friends the sizes/styles we liked had already been booked out to our frustration. I always found the forecasts to be not so reliable down there, but there is normally plenty of wind and it's a big playground down there as you know!

Grease-Monkey
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Va beach

Postby Grease-Monkey » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:03 am

I have beenfine in a spring suit the past two seasons if I needed it. I have. Een in the sound sid e nov with it. The wind is pretty consistent nearer the end of the months, I like kiting in the spring and fall there best.

lewmt
Frequent Poster

Postby lewmt » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:29 pm

Closer to the time if the conditions look good I would book a surfboard
Any recommendations on diectional boards to request? ...prefer something that shortens the learning curve as much as possible. Plenty dialed in on riding TT's(freeriding), weigh ~165, never ridden strapless, I figure to start out sound side to get the jibes figured out then hope to ride waves with it.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:23 pm

I live just North of the outer banks in Virginia Beach. September and October are our best months for wind every year. I'm pretty sure this is the case for OBX too. I doubt you'll need a wetsuit at all. I think the earliest I've ever needed a wetsuit was mid-October.

Real has a full line of Naish surfboards, so they'll set you up with the best one for you. Kitty hawk also has a rental program. Kitty hawk has one of those new litewave DV8 boards to rent that looked pretty interesting. You could also get in touch with Dimitri, he's always really good about getting you a demo on Epic gear!

average rider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Omaezaki, Chiba
Favorite Beaches: The windy ones with clean waves and no people
Style: waves
Gear: RRD

Postby average rider » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:17 am

Yes agree with DaveSails - call either of the shops mentioned and see what they have and what they advise. Depending on your level and experience it might make sense to get a lesson in and use the cost of that to also try out a board....(Depending on how they charge for things there)

Return to “Kitesurfing”