Forum for kitesurfers
MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kite loops on bow/flat kites

Postby MissionMan » Thu May 04, 2006 9:04 am

How do the guys do "pussy" loops on bows where it doesn't rip you as badly on the loop? I've heard guys saying you can do it so it hardly pulls you. I understand the sheeting out kills the power but that also drops you out the sky like a brick.

Is there any specific technique to use for hooked in kiteloops on bows/flat kites?

bondo
Frequent Poster

Postby bondo » Thu May 04, 2006 10:27 am

the depower is not as on/off as some people would have you believe (although this is probably kite specific). you just depower enough that you dont get pulled off your edge. stupidly easy.

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Thu May 04, 2006 10:40 am

On the pulley bar kite bows/sle's (i currently have one) the system is a little on/off depending on how much you sheet the bar out. I was trying to working out whether guys just thumbsuck how far to put the bar out or whether they do the loop letting themselves drop out the sky or if there is another method.

fskite
Medium Poster

Postby fskite » Thu May 04, 2006 1:09 pm

lovin doing backloop kiteloops on my TD - you can sheet way out if you think its all going wrong - it still hurts like F@CK :D .

I have found that you need just enough wind - boost a little then pull hard and it goes round nicely - but if you have not enough - or too much wind - it will not spin round any quicker than a bucket and thats where I suffer most. You need to be really aggressive with this kite to get the best out of it. Cranking kiteloops going into a bottom turn or in the middle of an arial goes against the grain a bit, if you grit your teeth its never as bad as you would expect. I think having learned on buckets our brains are nearly hard-wired into thinking ... sssgonnnnahurrrtt!! but with a bow kite as long as you are not dropping like a stone from 15 ft with your kite face down in the water below you you can retrieve the situation

maybe those learning on bows will take it all to another level.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Thu May 04, 2006 1:49 pm

MissionMan wrote:On the pulley bar kite bows/sle's (i currently have one) the system is a little on/off depending on how much you sheet the bar out. I was trying to working out whether guys just thumbsuck how far to put the bar out or whether they do the loop letting themselves drop out the sky or if there is another method.
i believe you own a gk sonic????

that kite for me was very hard to pussy loop

at least with the crossbow, switchblade, waroo, there is a spot where the kite will pivot turn very quickly - that is a spot where it doesn't have a great amount of power but still enough

sort a of a feel spot

the sonic i couldn't get that same pivoting depowered turn, it did fast turns but the radius was larger and had more power

there is a huge difference between the various bridled kites from my limited experience

with the crossbow, i find it really helps to push out with the front hand to get it to pivot, so sheet out some pull hard with back hand, push out hard with front hand - i think the pulleys on the bar is the reason why

i get in trouble on the crossbow if i start pulling with the front hand even a little as it produces the most power of the bunch i have flown

i just recently on the waroo started finishing with only the rear hand on the bar - guess i am progressing ;)

the waroo is the stupidest easy of the bunch i mentioned for kiteloops

David

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Thu May 04, 2006 1:58 pm

purdyd wrote: i believe you own a gk sonic????
No, I am on a shockwave, the sonic photo I posted was just some humour.

Return to “Kitesurfing”