Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Contra Bow Kite Drift Launch (unassisted)

Forum for kitesurfers
Kanaris
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Contra Bow Kite Drift Launch (unassisted)

Postby Kanaris » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:48 pm

For Clarification, I was wondering if I'm using an adequate technique.

Line Set Up...

Bladder down on the beach with the back of the kite to the wind.
I ran the outside lines to the outside bridles outside of the kite.
I ran the inside (red) lines underneath the center of the kite attaching them to the inside bridle lines.
I walked the kite to the bar (lines trailing behind). Proceeded into the water leaving myself enough room to extend the lines, and making every attempt not to catch the trailing lines.
I sank the center of the leading edge bladder slightly into the water to weigh down the kite. I let go the kite.

This is where I'm a little confused. On a 4 line kite, the kite typically turns around once the lines have extended. I've noticed that my bow kite tends to stay in this position and doesn't self correct itself into the wind. Is this normal?

I pulled aggresively on one outside line - the kite eventually turned around, and I managed to launch. Was this luck or correct technique?

Thanks in advance for your input.
[/code]

tukyank
Frequent Poster

Postby tukyank » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:30 pm

I too am working on self launches with a Crossbow.

Most of the time, I'm doing it in pretty choppy water and atleast 15kts of wind. With the chop - anything can happen and I've had several pretty scary launches where the kite rolled a few times.....so what's my point?
IMO - doing what you did is Good. Yes, you have to pull a lot of outside line to get the kite to turn around, but with LE face down and top of Canopy facing you, the kite will always drift slowly and SAFELY away from you.

Any other drift Lauchers care to provide some tips?

UNSAFE
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby UNSAFE » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:02 pm

I would try walking to the side of the kite once it starts to drift, then the lines will get tight from the side and turn the kite around.

chemosavi
Very Frequent Poster
Style: If Ghengis Kan, I kan too!
Gear: Grass fed Carbon Fiber
Brand Affiliation: Peace in the Middle East

Postby chemosavi » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:49 pm

Tried the water on the LE; came off instantly. Tried a TurboLauncher; kite rolled and TL jammed left me flying a fully powered kite with my hands on the strings. Ouch! Tried winding the lines on the bar with a full kite length extra Red line on the bar and slowly letting the lines off the bar as the kite drifted back. Too nerve racking with the pressure.

So now I let all the lines off the bar as I'm walking out with the kite under my arm (hooked in to the CL). Slap the kite down, leading edge facing to the right side of the window, grab the red front line as close to the bridle as I can and start letting it out. Kite drifts downwind LE facing right (or left). When all the line is close to being out I release it and the kite swings le down and pull on a back line to launch. Simple.

Landing it in Deep Water:

Lower the kite down to the RIGHT side of the window until it touches the water.

Quickly pull in the center lines and grab the RED ball and pull FAST. The kite should drop down on its leading edge facing into the wind.

Wrap the extra red line on the bar or use it to pull the kite to you.

You have the option now of winding the rest of the lines on the bar as the kite approaches you or [pulling the kite towards you with the red line] leading edge down, sideways to the wind.

Kite drops onto trailing edge in light wind:

Immediately pull like hell on the middle (front) lines to get it back in the sky.

LE face down in light winds:
Pull in on the BACK lines and reverse launch; let go one of the lines and the kite will spin LE up.
Last edited by chemosavi on Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Professor Robae'
Rare Poster

Postby Professor Robae' » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:41 pm

Thanks chem, this makes great sense and will be very useful as I have made the switch to a new Xbow & Contra. What are your preferred techniques for self landing in the H20 (both shallow & deep)? What techniques do you guys recommend for launch and landing; from/ to a boat?

Thanks for the helpful hints!

chemosavi
Very Frequent Poster
Style: If Ghengis Kan, I kan too!
Gear: Grass fed Carbon Fiber
Brand Affiliation: Peace in the Middle East

Postby chemosavi » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:07 pm

Professor Robae' wrote:Thanks chem, this makes great sense and will be very useful as I have made the switch to a new Xbow & Contra. What are your preferred techniques for self landing in the H20 (both shallow & deep)? What techniques do you guys recommend for launch and landing; from/ to a boat?

See above....^^^^^^

tplowe56
Frequent Poster

Postby tplowe56 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:12 am

Professor Robae' wrote:Thanks chem,
Hey Robbie, Tom from Orono.
From my experience with self launching & landing bows, I would say Chemo has pretty much got it wired. For a boat launch I would try to let out all line out off the back of the boat, then slowly let the kite out using one front line which will keep it in a flagged position. Do the reverse for a deep water landing. Land it at the side like Chemo says. And then yank like hell on the top-side center line. In heavy winds the kite can relaunch (before it has drifted downwind of you), and when you are still holding this front line, don't worry just hold on and let it fly down wind on the one line and then it will settle down again. You would have to be wearing gloves to be safe doing this in high wind.

I ALWAYS wear Gill Deckhand short-finger gloves, they are perfect for kiting, and can hold down a lot of kite when you need too.

http://www.layline.com/prodinfo.asp?number=dg7040

I guess I would add, if doing a boat launch using this method in heavy wind, you better be in the CL and ready to jump off the back of the boat when you let the last 15-20 feet of line out. Once you let go of the front line a wave could launch the leading edge and you could do a hot launch. Which isn't so bad on a bow, but you should be ready for it if it happens. Helps to also have the power strap in a depowered state. Good luck Prof.

Good info Chemo.

Professor Robae'
Rare Poster

Postby Professor Robae' » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:20 am

Great info guys! It makes such a difference to have a specific plan for each move you plan to make! Waffling from one plan to another at the moment of truth is a recipe for a kitemare.

Looking forward to kiting with you soon Tom!

Prof R.

tplowe56
Frequent Poster

Postby tplowe56 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:35 pm

Another technique that can help to keep a bow on the water when drift launching:

With the kite on the water LE down and in front of you, push down and submerge the LE as much as you can. When you let it up , allow the space between the underside of the canopy and the LE to fill up with water. This will trap a couple gallons of water in between the canopy and the LE. It will hang off the front of the LE like a water bag. Do it 2 or 3 times along the LE and you can get quite a bit of water/weight in there as ballast to hold the LE down when drift launching. It will gradually seep out but it can take about 5 minutes. This may be to hard to do from a boat launch, but works well when you can stand in the water.

I'm doing this with a Cabbie XB. Different construction techniques could make a difference in the amount of water the LE could hold.

tukyank
Frequent Poster

Postby tukyank » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:49 pm

TP - Just to be clear - you method is to put as much water as possibe on top (not the strut side) of the canopy with LE facing down and into the wind?

Return to “Kitesurfing”