Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Cumbuco or Mancora (plus backpacking through South America)

Forum for kitesurfers
jasonrosy
Rare Poster
Gear: Best Waroo 9m
Best Spark 134
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cumbuco or Mancora (plus backpacking through South America)

Postby jasonrosy » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:57 am

I have decided to quit the rat race and see a bit of the world. I want to leave London mid-September and travel around South America. Before I start backpacking I would like to improve my kitesurfing for a month or two.

Does anybody have any advice as to where I could kitesurf and then continue on my travels to Peru? I have been looking at Cumbuco but there does not seem to be an easy way to get to Peru once I am done. Another option is Mancora, Peru. This would be an ideal location for onward travel but I am concerned that it is not ideal for beginners or non-wave riders.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

BrianMaiden
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Guincho, Kingfisher, Fuerte, Tarifa, Gwithian
Favorite Beaches: Gwithian
Style: Strapless
Gear: Duotone

Re: Cumbuco or Mancora (plus backpacking through South America)

Postby BrianMaiden » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:37 am

I'm planning a very similar trip, leaving end of October. My plan is to spend 3 months in Cumbuco then get a bus from Fortaleza via Manaus to Lima and carry on in Mancora end of February to get some surfing in too.

I've heard this is possible and that the buses are very comfortable. I had concerns about the safety of taking all my kit that way by bus but i've been told that theft on the buses isn't that common.

Anybody else know if this is in fact possible?

matanshapira
Medium Poster

Postby matanshapira » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:29 am

1. I heared that mogging of the entire bus in remote area like those are common.
2. Usually people get to Manaus by flight or by boat (from Belem).

jasonrosy
Rare Poster
Gear: Best Waroo 9m
Best Spark 134

Postby jasonrosy » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:14 am

Found a thread on lonelyplanet.com that describes the mini-adventure that is Manaus to Lima

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/t ... tstart=250

powerkitefan
Medium Poster

Postby powerkitefan » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:46 am

The road are not good from North Brazil over to Peru. Would take ages on a bus (that will break down). Maybe cheaper and easier to fly from FOR to Lima or Quito.

http://www.powerkitesdirect.com

Stuitrover
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Veerse Dam, Zeeland, The Netherlands
Zandvoort
Brand Affiliation: www.windsurfschool.nl

Postby Stuitrover » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:54 pm

Jason, I spend 12 days last november in Mancora together with my girlfriend. She took her first lessons there and yes, it's good for beginners too (at least when we were there). There are (at least) two schools, she went with http://www.perukitemancora.com/. But I'm not sure wether you want lessons or not.

At Mancora beach, there's an area where the waves are nice, but difficult for beginners. To the right and left it's easier. There still are waves and they form a bit of a beach break, but you can either kite through it or bodydrag through it. Mind you, in Cumbuco the water isn't flat either, unless you go to the crowded lagune, but still good enough for beginners. Both are nice places, in Cumbuco I have good experience with http://kitesurf.windtown.nl/.

Return to “Kitesurfing”