One hand kiters- Know any?

Forum for kitesurfers
Logan
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

One hand kiters- Know any?

Postby Logan » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:27 pm

I've been kiting all summer with a prosthetic hook. About a month ago I started doing tricks (360s) and big air and I'm quite happy with my progression. I eventually want to do unhooked riding but my prosthetic's suspension system can't handle that force. Even now if I have a big crash (hooked in), my prosthetic almost comes off. A buddy of mine was saying he's seen a wicked kiter with one hand in Brazil, and I was wondering if anyone knows how they keep their 'arms' on (ie their suspension system)?

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:59 pm

smileibiza
Rare Poster

one legged kiting

Postby smileibiza » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:07 pm

I've seen a one legged kite surfer in Tarifa.
He was on a surfboard strapless no prostetic, just one leg on the board.
Hats off to him what balance!!!! :roll: :roll:

EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:59 pm

One of our locals is a one handed kiter too.
He does not come on here however.

he can be found on other UK forums.

geir
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby geir » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:08 pm

Well this is how I do it. (sorry dont have any kitesurfing closeup, but I use the same setup for both)

In the older thread it became clear that theres quite a few of us one-armed bandits out there. Each to their own in solving the problem, but for me I've never really got the hang of the prost. stuff. Because I have the elbow and a 10cm stump I use the rope and elbow grip thing. Has worked well in the past for windsurfing etc. That grip is actually stronger than my other arm grip. So unhooked stuff isnt a problem for me (well no more for me than anybody else, just need practice).

RPskater
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Bar modification for one armed bandits

Postby RPskater » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:48 pm

I made a bar modification that may be usefull to one armed bandits. I rigged a small pair of quick release vice-grips on my bar so that when I push my bar up to depower it, I use two fingers to squeeze the grip which locks my chicken loop in the depowered position. When I want to power up again, I just push the grip open with my thumb. The vice-grip is the smallest one they make and has a special quick release feature. I placed the vice-grip on the bottom side of the bar and used 2 hose clamps to fasten the handle to the bar having the chicken loop run through the mouth of the jaws. Being a mechanical engineer, I like to tinker with my toys hoping something comes of it. I used it for one session and it did work. It may save you from having to let go of your bar to adjust the depower stap if trying to prepare for unhooking. If interested, I could get some pictures of the set up so you see what I did.
Ron :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”