Forum for kitesurfers
RobFlynn
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Knee Braces

Postby RobFlynn » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:15 pm

In relation to my previous post, i will start kitesurfing in a couple of weeks but i have a few questions:

1) Can anyone suggest a not-so-expensive yet comfortable and secure knee brace?
2) Do you wear the knee brace on top of the wetsuit or beneath it?

Thanks !!

whiskas
Medium Poster
Style: Wake
Gear: LF Element with Escalade bindnings. Eh Wave 7, 11, 15

Re: Knee Braces

Postby whiskas » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:05 am

Hey,
I just just startted kitesurfing again after a knee injury and had the CTi brace on. It definitley seemed to help anyway, if nothing else to boost my confidence.
I don´t think its very cheap though... You would wear the brace over the wetsuit. I put ducttape on the velcro to make sure that it didn´t come undone because of sand and water but it would still slide a little after a few crashes.

Good luck to ya

http://www.ossur.com/cti
http://www.ossur.com/lisalib/getfile.aspx?itemid=12668
Last edited by whiskas on Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:52 pm

I use the Donjoy Armour, but it ain't cheap either.

If you want one that can take the beating that Kiting dishes out you are gonna have to invest a bit more cash.

It also depends on how badly damaged your knee is. Now that I am mostly healed up I have started using a Drytex Economy Hinged Knee Brace ( http://www.donjoy.com/index.asp/fuseact ... at/1/id/32) from donjoy and it works fine.
Attachments
IMG_8639.jpg
Donjoy Arnour

pilookite
Medium Poster

Postby pilookite » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:00 pm

Interesting post/issue

I use to wear a knee brace for kitesurfing when my left knee was painfull once in a while. Then my knee started to be painfull in the middle of a session one day. I decided to go and see my GP as after 4/5 days, it was still painfull. He prescribed me some cheap anti inflamatory.

As I did not wanted to take them (what is the point, the problem would have still be there, just without the pain!) I went to see a Physio privatly.

Anyway, she told me that wearing a knee brace was not a good thing as it means that you put the actual pressure somewhere else and could as a result make thing worse or devellop something else.

I would seriously consider talking with your physio or your surgeon if you have add a knee operation recently.

PS: I am not a doctor, it is only my experience.

whiskas
Medium Poster
Style: Wake
Gear: LF Element with Escalade bindnings. Eh Wave 7, 11, 15

Postby whiskas » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:10 pm

Sure, the brace should not be thought of as a permanent solution. I´m not a doktor either, but my feeling when having the brace is that it "transfers" some of the load on the muscles right by the knee (for example quads) to muscles further up the leg giving you more stability and to compensate for weak muscles after injury or surgery.

I guess this means that the "kneemuscles" aren´t getting full workout during the kiting, but I think its better to do training excersices for this in a more controlled enviroment that kitesurfing rather than risking a new injury.

Return to “Kitesurfing”