RPM self-launch self-land

Forum for kitesurfers
seaoutside
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

RPM self-launch self-land

Postby seaoutside » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:07 am

Just wondering what works best with the RPMs for self-launching and self-landing. It seems like the standard self-landing tech of dropping the kite in and pulling the front upper-line works fine. Haven't tried the attaching the chicken-loop to a fixed object method. Any comments / suggestions? Thanks

bonzodoodaa
Rare Poster
Local Beach: milford on sea,hants.uk
Gear: slingshot.shinn
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: RPM self-launch self-land

Postby bonzodoodaa » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:54 pm

The fixed object and rope/leash method works well for landing and launching.

shymac
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Stevenson Point break; Sandbar HR; 3-mile; Hatch; Mosier; S.beach Newport. Timberline, Mount Hood Meadows, Whistler, Baker, Steamboat.
Favorite Beaches: SOCAL/PNW/HI/BCS/????
Style: Depends on the condition.
Gear: 2012 RPM 4.5/6/7/8/9/10/12/14

Boots/Strapless/Skim/Wakestake/Snowboard
Brand Affiliation: Free Agent

Postby shymac » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:20 pm

I say whatever works for the conditions at hand... Sometimes it might be perfect just to flag-it complete off the front line. That works well in areas that are super sketch conditions or areas that limit what you can really do. Just flag it out and bring it in with one line. Or... use the solid object technique that works great in snow. Then in mellow winds or if you lucky you can bring the kite to the edge of the window and try it get it to fall on its LE facing the wind. This isn't to hard but does take a couple times to get it into position proper. Once its LE down it should stay down but in gusty winds you might want to run your ass to the kite and get some sand on it... :thumb:

I will try to get a couple videos of this done and post.

jrfiol
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cayo Enrique, La Parguera; Montones Beach, Isabela; Dorado Beach, Dorado.
Favorite Beaches: Not yet.
Style: waverider, freestyle
Gear: Slingshot RPM 10, Darko 135. I also have a Liquid Force Havoc 12 and Rally 14M.

Postby jrfiol » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:59 am

I never have any issues when self launching/landing. What I do to self launch is basically turn the kite into the wind slowly, as it turns in it just pops into the edge of the window and its up! To self land, i bring thekite to about 15 feet from where i want it to land and pull on the bar to make it LE face down as much as I can before it lands and start flagging it from the back line...

its easy with thsi RPM10PM.

seaoutside
Rare Poster

Postby seaoutside » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:08 am

Thanks for all the input, most interested in the fixed object tech and that sounds like it should work fine.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Tue May 04, 2010 3:54 pm

Connect the bridle to the wake style point. Makes it more stable for fixed object launch. The kite is less on and off and you get less bar pressure.

addicted~2it
Medium Poster
Gear: SS Rev
Underground Boards
Myctic Warrior

Postby addicted~2it » Wed May 05, 2010 6:52 am

Be careful on the self launch in strong winds. My RPM's like to pop of the beach, even with sand on them.

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos (prasonisi), Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride, very light winds
Gear: Peak4, Airush Ultra, hydrofoil Moses 633

Postby abel » Thu May 06, 2010 12:27 am

Under relative light winds (and nobody downwind!), locate yourself at 90 deg to wind direction, pull on the cross hand front line for launching (e.g. if launching to the right pull with your right hand on the left front line and vice versa). Avoid looping the line over the hand or fingers.
For landing pull on the same hand side front line.

Generally this self launching/landing technique is not recommended, tough mastering it can be useful for relaunching in the water.

Return to “Kitesurfing”