Forum for kitesurfers
streetrover
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

crossbow fiasco

Postby streetrover » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:55 am

i m thhe 70 kilo rider mentioned in marekmk s post. just to get this clear, i m not saying anything bad here, ok?????! i m 15 years old, i ve bin kiting since i was 11, and i ve kited in many different places and conditions. the stuff about the crossbow marek shared with you was correct, i did an unhooked move and crashed the kite through the powerzone. it then tangled it self and some of those spiderlines wrapped around an edge, the kite started looping and pulled me down for about a half a mile before i pulled the quickrelease, now i think this stuff shouldn t happen.... especially with the newest kite ou can get.... also, this kite, whenever you let go of the bar, in an unhooked move or so, and the kite crashes in to the water, in override, the kite falls backward, inverts, flies back up uncontrolled through the powerzone, and does more crazy shit.... now i know what i m saying, i tested this kite for 2 weeks in very strong wind with gusts up to 40 or more knots, and i tell you that it is not fucking safe! a professional kiter tested the system on the beach, and almost got dragged along it! so if you think the crossbow s the best, well it s not my problem, but what i m telling you here is not bullshit

BigR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BigR » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:43 pm

you were flying a 12m in 40kts and only 15y/o ????

No Pump ReQuired
Frequent Poster

Re: crossbow fiasco

Postby No Pump ReQuired » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:49 pm

streetrover wrote:i m thhe 70 kilo rider mentioned in marekmk s post. just to get this clear, i m not saying anything bad here, ok?????! i m 15 years old, i ve bin kiting since i was 11, and i ve kited in many different places and conditions. the stuff about the crossbow marek shared with you was correct, i did an unhooked move and crashed the kite through the powerzone. it then tangled it self and some of those spiderlines wrapped around an edge, the kite started looping and pulled me down for about a half a mile before i pulled the quickrelease, now i think this stuff shouldn t happen.... especially with the newest kite ou can get.... also, this kite, whenever you let go of the bar, in an unhooked move or so, and the kite crashes in to the water, in override, the kite falls backward, inverts, flies back up uncontrolled through the powerzone, and does more crazy shit.... now i know what i m saying, i tested this kite for 2 weeks in very strong wind with gusts up to 40 or more knots, and i tell you that it is not fucking safe! a professional kiter tested the system on the beach, and almost got dragged along it! so if you think the crossbow s the best, well it s not my problem, but what i m telling you here is not bullshit

calling BS on this Post..... :o

Dr.Gonzo
Frequent Poster

Re: crossbow fiasco

Postby Dr.Gonzo » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:57 pm

streetrover wrote: i tested this kite for 2 weeks in very strong wind with gusts up to 40 or more knots, and i tell you that it is not fucking safe!
no kidding.

I think the answer to your problem lies in that statement... and the problem is not with the kite :idea:

Sea&Sun
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Sea&Sun » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:13 pm

I have seen the Crossbow flip over and get tangled and fly crazy in winds of 14 to 20. It does happen and its not funny. Of course I imagine the kiter can always just let it go?

Dr.Gonzo
Frequent Poster

Postby Dr.Gonzo » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:19 pm

I have also heard from reliable source that there can be issues with the crossbow inverting etc. for whatever reason..

but I do not think it is fair to bag on any kite for misbehaving in 40knots+

kruzlifix
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Baleia, Ceara, Brazil
Style: wave and HF
Gear: AHC, Firewire, Levitaz, Moses, Cabrinha, Flysurfer

Postby kruzlifix » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:30 pm

well, streetrover, 40 kn in gusts is a little bit exagerated. the wind was strong but mostly around 30 kn!
I used the same time a crossbow 12 and only very rarely I had to depower the adjuster a tiny bit!
andreas :thumb:

slingshotucf
Frequent Poster
Style: foil
Gear: LF kites and foils, jim stringfeller foil
Brand Affiliation: LF

Postby slingshotucf » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:04 pm

The problem with the inverting the Crossbow and having to swim in or having a problem isn't really a problem. I teach with Crossbows and I get them to invert all the time due to people not flying them correctly. It's very easy to correct. Just pull on one of the back lines and then the kite will turn itself around. The bridles don't go over the kite so there is no tangling. I've rolled the kite over completely and the lines were just crossed and kite was able to still fly. All this bitching about these bows seems to come from those that don't know how to use them. IMO I think they are the best kites on the market, they just take time to get used to. If you bought a bow kite, take it out and let it fall in the water on a light wind day and get used to all the things that you'll need to do incase of an emergency, then you won't have to bitch when it happens and you have no clue what to do.
Later~Nick

kruzlifix
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Baleia, Ceara, Brazil
Style: wave and HF
Gear: AHC, Firewire, Levitaz, Moses, Cabrinha, Flysurfer

Postby kruzlifix » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:22 pm

@ Jack
I aggree with you 100 %! in low wind there is no danger and the kiteinversion is reversible!
just never experience this in heavy wind! the only safe way out of this is to release the kite completely!
I don't understand why some peoples don't like to admit, that the crossbow (may be also other first generation bow kites) has no good functioning safety system!
andreas

tplowe56
Frequent Poster

Postby tplowe56 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:34 pm

slingshotucf wrote:The problem with the inverting the Crossbow and having to swim in or having a problem isn't really a problem. I teach with Crossbows and I get them to invert all the time due to people not flying them correctly. It's very easy to correct. Just pull on one of the back lines and then the kite will turn itself around. The bridles don't go over the kite so there is no tangling. I've rolled the kite over completely and the lines were just crossed and kite was able to still fly. All this bitching about these bows seems to come from those that don't know how to use them. IMO I think they are the best kites on the market, they just take time to get used to. If you bought a bow kite, take it out and let it fall in the water on a light wind day and get used to all the things that you'll need to do incase of an emergency, then you won't have to bitch when it happens and you have no clue what to do.
Later~Nick
EXACTLY my sentiments. That is what I did. I have NEVER had a tangle that I was unable to sort out on the water.

Also if you get in big, big trouble the reride safety works great. It flags the kite very easily, and is still pretty easy to relaunch. All this BS, is postings from people not learning enough about the kite before they get it into an unusual attitude. This kite will not fly itself out of a problem, there is no auto pilot.....on any kite design.

Return to “Kitesurfing”