Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Warning: deficient safety systems!

Forum with lots of safety info - a must for newbees
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Warning: deficient safety systems!

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:58 am

Hi fellow kiteboarders,

Just a few words to warn you all about some safety systems, recently in France (La Palmyre) a severe kite accident happened (details on flysurf.com), on 5 guys NO one could release their safety (the wind suddently increased from 15 to 35 knots) , 3 of them had safety systems using pins (similar as Takoon, Wipika...) and two others had snap shakle (wichard type).
It means that these systems DO NOT WORK UNDER HEAVY LOAD (or work BUT with a lot of strengh, 4 people were needed to release the safety!!!). These kiteboarders are taking the manufacturers to court but meanwhile no results are known about these systems.

My advice is to check if your safety works under load, for example hanging yourself in your harness and try to release it, and you will see for yourself if it works... Be aware that if you feel that it feels more difficult to release under a small load (like your own weight) imagine the power necessary to released in an extreme situation (wind gust from 15 to 35knots...)

Ride safe,

Burn-X

ps: if everyone who does this little test can tell the results it can be interesting. The Naish X2 release system seems to work perfectly, But the snap shakle with the opening pin on the side DOES NOT under heavy load!!

Petro9
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Petro9 » Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:00 am

I am not surprised about this.
I have worked a lot with shackle manufacturers, and at all times that have repeatedly told me these things are not designed to work under load. Even loss if potentially corrupted with sand!!!

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:27 pm

suing the kite company will only serve to apease the insurance company paying the medical bill, or otherwise if the accident was more serious.

i'm just guessing, but i imagine if one of the companies get successfully sued that would only act as a catalyst for them to stop making 'safety' systems altogether.

Vinny
Medium Poster

Postby Vinny » Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:01 pm

On my kite in BIG LETTERS it says using this product could result in serious injury or death. Had any of them checked the quick release before going out to fly? Had they not seen the weather coming in?

Return to “Safety”