Forum with lots of safety info - a must for newbees
Don Monnot
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Right of Way

Postby Don Monnot » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:11 pm

IKO's description sounds correct to me. If the kite is to the right, then the wind is coming over the "starboard" side of the board first--a common (though not US Sailing correct) way to tell. Why do you say it's backward?

Don

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Right of Way

Postby Windrider » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:09 pm

Don Monnot wrote:IKO's description sounds correct to me. If the kite is to the right, then the wind is coming over the "starboard" side of the board first--a common (though not US Sailing correct) way to tell. Why do you say it's backward?

Don
I think I see the confusion....

I see the kite's position as right or left as relative to your direction of travel. The kite is always on the opposite site of the wind. If the wind is on the starboard side relative to you direction of travel, then you are on a starboard tack, and the kite is on the port side of your direction of travel. Therefore the kite is on the left relative to your direction of travel.

If you are riding on a starboard tack on a TT, then you are facing the kite with your back to the wind, then the kite would be on your right hand side if it is forward in the wind window.... (is that how IKO is looking at it?) But, if the kite is not forward in the wind window, then it could be on your left side even if you are on a startboard tack. Or, it could be straight downwind of you...

(I sailed boats in high school days, so I'm familiar with starboard and port tacks in conventional sailing terms... I think that it is just the IKO wording that is causing my confusion. If they simply said, "The person on the starboard tack has the right of way..." then it would jive with my understanding of the sailing terms.)

Return to “Safety”