Don't Launch from a Boat

Forum with lots of safety info - a must for newbees
trey3
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby trey3 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:05 pm

i use the wind shadow of the edge o the lake, with inverted bucket.....works fine.....turbo launcher en route to make it simpler :bye:

banq81991
Rare Poster

Postby banq81991 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:56 pm

i think the best would be set up all the lines and hook them up to the kite on land. then put the whole kite in the boat and go out to where ur gonna kite. Anchor up and inflate the kite in the rear of the deck area. then u just drop it of the rear edge and let it drift but u wont drift cuz u hav an anchor. :thumb: Then sit on the back rail or deck and put on your board. pull the fith line or launch and ride of totally dry if u can. ur dry, ur kiteboarding, its all gud :D

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:32 pm

For over 2 years, I have been working on a safe method for self launching a kite from shallow water and from a boat. One method involves feeding the kite out on a 5th line, and another involves feeding a kite out using a deep sea trolling reel and 80 pound test spider wire. In the next month, I will be presenting these two methods in the "Tinkering" topics, hoping for some suggestions from members of the Kiteforum.

Here is a picture of my prototype boat or kayak kite launching device to hopefully stimulate some thought (or at least give you "Antitinkerites" a good laugh). You will be glad to hear that I have completely given up on the "Swimming Scarecrow Kite Launcher/Catcher" idea. Just kidding!

I do NOT call this device the "Turbo-bucket" out of respect for the inventor of the Turbolauncher. With some modifications which would allow absolute control of the kite during the launch, I think the Turbolauncher could achieve the results that many people are looking for in a safe, controled, one person, line-feed launch. If anyone can solve this drift launch problem with an elegant solution, and manufacture the needed device, it will be him. ....Respect.
Attachments
DSCF0005.JPG
DSCF0005.JPG (118.21 KiB) Viewed 8993 times

KiteSurfingKen
Frequent Poster

Wow what a great gadget

Postby KiteSurfingKen » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:09 am

That is one of the craziest kite tools I have seen yet. Way cool, although a bit complex. :thumb:
Having used both a boat and Jet Ski for lake launching (it get's very crowded at times) I prefer a good three person Jet Ski. I have a high performance model (2 person) and it is very unstable although still effective.
The Jet Ski is more maneuverable and does not have many if any surfaces on the underside to catch lines and very few sharp points. Although not traveling over the lines is advised if possible. When traveling with 2 people and a fully inflated 21M kite we were able to travel at about 15MPH going directly into the wind. The TRICK, Hold the kite as you would when walking on land in the upside down position. wind the lines up tight to keep the tips from flapping and tangling the lines. The passenger sits backward holding the kite in there lap.
When launching the Jet Ski or boater holds the leading edge of the kite and progresses upwind to tension the lines and maintain a safe distance from the kiter. Which is what the person on the Jet Ski does once the kite is launched (Run Interference from boats and other Jet Skiers).
When approaching a down kite (in order to flip it into a safe launch position) it is best to com from the downwind edge and grab the leading edge. The Jet Ski works well for this because it has no sharp edges. Once you control the leading edge travel to the edge of the window and release.
We kite on an inland lake approximately 1.5 miles by 3.5 miles with all manner of watercraft (power, sail, row, swim, etc). When winds are light a down kite can be a real problem as no one around here understands the concept of lines under tension causing harm.
As an example of how a Boat/Jet Ski can be very helpful. I had to head of a mesmerized boater who was fixated on my buddy's kite. They were on a collision course and the boat was in my buddy's blind spot. I came zooming at him at top speed waving my arms to get his attention with seconds to spare. My buddy saw him at the last second and steered further away as the boater came to a stop.
If curiosity doesn't kill the kat it might the kiter, at least in Ohio.
Happy and Safe Winds!

drunkinmonk
Rare Poster

Re: Don't Launch from a Boat

Postby drunkinmonk » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:29 pm

[kiteforumtv]http://www.kiteforum.tv/video/Flysurfer ... unch_.html[/kiteforumtv]

why not get a kite like this?

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:05 am

Been doing for the last 6 years now, in fact I do all my teaching from a boat.
You can launch the kite from the boat without even getting wet and pop a nice jump of the boat to get started.
Did a whole write up about it a while ago, so a search would get you there.
Am still working on a little film so everyone can see how simple it is (without any fancy accessories too)
Nico

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:09 pm

I did an interview with Nico, where he explains the boat launch.

either this

[kiteforumtv]http://www.kiteforum.tv/video/kiteforum_tv_show__1.html[/kiteforumtv]

or this

[kiteforumtv]http://www.kiteforum.tv/video/kiteforum ... _res_.html[/kiteforumtv]

Return to “Safety”