Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Multiple choice question regarding kite safety.

Forum with lots of safety info - a must for newbees
jontan
Rare Poster
Local Beach: somewhere in michigan
Favorite Beaches: the lakes
Style: freeride
Gear: Blade
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Multiple choice question regarding kite safety.

Postby jontan » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:31 pm

Your just getting out of the water from kiteboarding with your kite in the air. The launch area is a bit sketchy, muddy and there is not much room with many obstacles. It's blowing 22 ktn side onshore and you plan on landing the kite with assistance(your friendly assistant is waiting to grab the kite from you), but as you are walking more inland, a larger dog comes running up to you and around you in circles barking(your not sure if he is friendly or not). At this point what is thee most important thing to do?

A. Jump over the dog to get away from him fast.

B. Ignore the loud dog running around you and focus on keeping full control of the kite.

C. Get completely distracted from the dog, crash your kite on the ground and in doing so, you yourself fall to the ground. Then go blame the owner for creating a hazard.

D. Play with the dog, become his friend, with the kite in the air and then land the kite.

E. Drop kick him, kite style.

red_eye1980
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ixia, Kremasti, Prasonisi on the island of Rhodes
Favorite Beaches: Have not travelled to kite yet but been in Cabarette Dom Rep and seemed nice.
Style: Free ride
Gear: Rhino 2006 10m, Havoc 2007 12m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Multiple choice question regarding kite safety.

Postby red_eye1980 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:54 pm

Lol, what happened then? A dog like that grabbed me by the kite leash but i was going in not out. So my instinct was to go in as fast as possible where the dog finally let go. So i suppose go back in the water could be an option.

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster

Postby stefaans » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:00 pm

F, just let the dog hump your leg and get it over with so you can land your kite.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:38 pm

jontan wrote:Your just getting out of the water from kiteboarding with your kite in the air.
F. Sit Zeppelin!

He's a beautiful dog, but obviously a hazard. It's not clear to me how kiters with dogs stay safe.

jontan
Rare Poster
Local Beach: somewhere in michigan
Favorite Beaches: the lakes
Style: freeride
Gear: Blade
Brand Affiliation: Blade

Postby jontan » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:34 am

repost from kiteus.com:

No dog should be all up in anybodies grill as they are kiting. This extra hazard is not good, and should not be(I'm sure lessons were learned). But at an unfortunate event, a big dog is running around barking all excited as you come in from kiting, ...what to do?

Like any other distractions it is most important to focus on the task at hand, safely, even if the environment is not safe.

Same for riding a bike and a big dog runs up to you, you not knowing if it is friendly-excited or mean. Control the bike first.

Lets all learn from this...

Return to “Safety”