GreenRider
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Portorož, Slovenia
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Kite lines not tight while launch- no control

Postby GreenRider » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:42 pm

On a Rampage wrote:The kite in the pic above is facing the wrong way. The kite should be facing into the wind, not down wind. Great way to get killed! I hope you just misdrew this. If this is the way you are trying to launch the kite then it's no wonder the lines are loose.
This was just a demonstration to show if I understand zloilyoha's post. On the picture leading edge (bold line) is in a wrong way. When I was trying to launch it was like this:
Attachments
launching2.JPG
launching2.JPG (24.08 KiB) Viewed 8924 times

grantman54
Very Frequent Poster

Postby grantman54 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:52 pm

Sounds to me like your kite isn't down wind enough. I really encourage talking to other kiters before trying but when you do try start with the position shown above and walk towards the word "wind" on the picture above keeping your lines tight until you feel the kite tighten up.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:50 pm

Yeah my link will not work for some reason when ever I post my reply. You can search for it on this site www.kiteforum.com/wiki/index.php?title=Kite_Trim

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:51 am

GreenRider wrote:
On a Rampage wrote:The kite in the pic above is facing the wrong way. The kite should be facing into the wind, not down wind. Great way to get killed! I hope you just misdrew this. If this is the way you are trying to launch the kite then it's no wonder the lines are loose.
This was just a demonstration to show if I understand zloilyoha's post. On the picture leading edge (bold line) is in a wrong way. When I was trying to launch it was like this:
Hey that's a nice diagram, perfect starting position for an assisted launch. As grantman said, just walk carefully upwind to power up the kite. But before you do don't forget to take the time to check your lines, pull in the bar a bit to put some tension on them and see if there are any twists or tangles. That's why this position is good... you can check the lines easy without pacmanning the launcher and you can abort the launch easy if you see any problems. Remember too that if it's light wind you'll have to walk more into wind to get the kite powered, stronger winds not so much.

It's worth spending time sorting out the launch and landing because that's where a lot of the problems start.

Return to “Safety”