Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite Looping out of control dragging the rider

Forum with lots of safety info - a must for newbees
TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kite Looping out of control dragging the rider

Postby TheJoe » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:09 pm

This is why I ride suicide and not on a flagging system. Sounds like some of you were lucky and had time to activate a second release. I would rather just activate one release than hope I have time to activate a second.

Then again I'm a big advocate of flying the right kite for the conditions and only going out in conditions you are comfortable riding in. I have even stopped people on the beach that I thought were beginners putting up big kites in strong winds or with a storm coming in. They have thanked me afterwards every time.

bounce
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby bounce » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:36 am

Yes, - this can happen to any kite, but was a special problem with the Bandit I and DOS, as they had longer bridles that easier could catch the wingtip. Normally, the kite will crash, - maybe loop one or two times, - fortunately endless looping is rare, and also, normally the looping stops if the kite is released on the leash, unless for instance a steering line is cought in the harness or around the bar.

I have also experienced this (once) in very gusty conditions when the kite, (Bandit III), dived and was caught by a blast, and a steering line was sucked into the pulley and thereby shortened by 30cm and attached to the frontline.

If the pull is light (e.g you feel in control and have time), - you may get out of the situation by releasing the kite on the leash, while holding on the the grip and yanking the tight steering line (that is if it loops slowly and dont pull you). - If it pulls hard when released on the leash, releasing the kite totally is the only option.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:25 am

yep can happen on any kite, I remember posting loads about it years ago cos i saw many deathloop drags including a near drowning and one that nearly killed my friend during beach launch in our summer and knew that the northern hemisphere would be in for it with the new bow/bridle kite designs just out that increased the chance of it happening.

3 main reasons

1. Line wrapped around bar end - Decent long stiff leader lines way better.

2. Bridle wrapped around kite tip - use very short bridles so it is not/almost possible or don't use them.

3. Jammed pulley - maintain them or don't use them.

also

4. Kite leash carabina ends up attaching to corner of bar lines when bailing sending u dragging behind death loop - use plastic tubing on carabina so cannot happen.

5. Corner where bar meets outside line gets jammed under harness hook - then you are screwed - dont design bulky quick releases that can get jammed in harness hook - i remember north made one years ago that jammed perfectly in dakine harness hooks.

6. Let go of bar - gets jammed in above bar depower/4 or 5th line split - you are now fully powered death looping on leash.

7. Kite leash carabina hook end ends up jumping from where it should be to jamming in bar depower hole when you bail - you have let go of kite but you are now fully powered up getting dragged backwards.

It's usefull to know what can happen before it happens so u can minimize risk. I really don't like technical kites(bridles and pullies) for high wind riding but even then it can happen to 5th line c kites too but for sure way rarer.

jteabird
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby jteabird » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:33 pm

sounds like you are talking about 4 year or older cabrinhas that hook to outside line .. ids has been around for 4 years

Return to “Safety”