Local Beach: Shoreham (UK)
Favorite Beaches: Brandon Bay, Silver Sands & a few more
Style: Wave / Freeride
Gear: North, Firewire, Wainman, Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: kite looping on deathride: I drowned, died and come back

Postby mr moon » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:56 pm

tony montana wrote:Mr Moon,glad to know your ok,scary experiance.great to read your back on the water what an amazing sport it is,wondering should we have a shorter leash for people that dont unhook. Tony
Thanks guys, I'm glad you are spending time in reading this and look into safety :thumb:

A shorter safety leash would be good, or just a safety leash with a release half way not at the end.. some people have even suggested a leash with release at both ends!

But I think the main problem in general is that we should be able to release everything in one action not two. Having the choice would be nice.. Saying for example you are in trouble, you release QR1 and then might go for QR2, but if you are in real shit you should be able to go for QR2 bypassing QR1. That's my point. In extreme conditions everything happens so damn fast that you can only aim to one action not 2, that's a fact.

Of course in my case would have been just enough to clip the leash onto the front, but we are now extending the argument to a wider prospective. I think kite safety can be improved, there is plenty of room for it, we just need some brains together :wink:

tony montana
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: naples fl
Favorite Beaches: naples fl
Style: waverider
Gear: north
Brand Affiliation: north nash cabrina any kite with a safety system that works i mean works
Been thanked: 0

Postby tony montana » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:42 pm

mr moon wrote:
tony montana wrote:Mr Moon,glad to know your ok,scary experiance.great to read your back on the water what an amazing sport it is,wondering should we have a shorter leash for people that dont unhook. Tony
Thanks guys, I'm glad you are spending time in reading this and look into safety :thumb:

A shorter safety leash would be good, or just a safety leash with a release half way not at the end.. some people have even suggested a leash with release at both ends!

But I think the main problem in general is that we should be able to release everything in one action not two. Having the choice would be nice.. Saying for example you are in trouble, you release QR1 and then might go for QR2, but if you are in real shit you should be able to go for QR2 bypassing QR1. That's my point. In extreme conditions everything happens so damn fast that you can only aim to one action not 2, that's a fact.

Of course in my case would have been just enough to clip the leash onto the front, but we are now extending the argument to a wider prospective. I think kite safety can be improved, there is plenty of room for it, we just need some brains together :wink:
Yes your right total release mabey short leash on quick release harness this might be possible,Tony

vojtech
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Hatteras - Canadian Hole
Cuba - Cayo Coco
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Crowwbow 13m, Switchblade10m

JL Flightdeck, Park

Postby vojtech » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:00 pm

Toby wrote:I am really glad you made it and shared your story with us.
I am sure this will help to save some lives!

Wow, what a story.

And I am even more happy, that I prefer to fly a big kite in lighter winds...I limit my risk a lot by doing this. My smallest kite is a 14 and I barely use it.

For people who just like to have fun without worrying too much about safety, think about it...

mr moon, welcome back to life and enjoy it!!!

ptraykovski
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ptraykovski » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:14 pm

mr moon wrote:

:
That why in heavy conditions, especially with big waves, sometimes I feel much safer with no leash.

Depowering to a leash does not work when your kite is getting dragged by a big wave. The only option to release the power is complete disconnect..preferably quickly

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:18 pm

ptraykovski wrote:
mr moon wrote:

:
That why in heavy conditions, especially with big waves, sometimes I feel much safer with no leash.

Depowering to a leash does not work when your kite is getting dragged by a big wave. The only option to release the power is complete disconnect..preferably quickly
By that do you mean you ride unhooked with no leash?

ptraykovski
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ptraykovski » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:26 pm

By that do you mean you ride unhooked with no leash?[/quote]

No ! I would never unhook with out a leash..unless I forget :roll: ..common sense is obviously required. no unhooking and empty beaches are a must. If windy and big waves I am usually riding a surfboard and am always hooked with the donkey in.

To have a an instant release for unhooking just clip the leash directly to the chickenloop. you lose the 1st stage depower of a normal leash (if you let go of the bar the kite will be full power..suicide leash style) but gain 1 step complete release

Eli90
Rare Poster

Postby Eli90 » Thu May 23, 2013 11:27 am

Hey, new to this site, so just read this. Scary stuff dude, glad you're okay. Welcome back to the land of the living! :thumb:

mr moon
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shoreham (UK)
Favorite Beaches: Brandon Bay, Silver Sands & a few more
Style: Wave / Freeride
Gear: North, Firewire, Wainman, Ozone

Postby mr moon » Thu May 23, 2013 5:15 pm

to ptraykovski:
dude that's the safest way to ride... 1 release in biG conditions and it has to be TOTAL. No leash.. that's the killer when the shit hits the fan :duh:

to Eli90:
thanks mate, also glad to be back in the tribe.. it's a very special one :wink:

One thing that leaves me gutted is the fact that friends who have seen my accident and other riders who have been involved or even just heard the story THEY STILL CLIP THE BLOODY LEASH TO THE BACK OF THE HARNESS!!! And to all these I wish them good luck, as they try it with their own lives..

RIDE SAFE AND DON'T FEEL LIKE A FOOL WEARING A HELMET OR CARRYING 2 KNIVES :lol: 8) :thumb:

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu May 23, 2013 5:23 pm

mr moon wrote:THEY STILL CLIP THE BLOODY LEASH TO THE BACK OF THE HARNESS!!!
Quoted for truth.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu May 23, 2013 6:47 pm

edt wrote:
mr moon wrote:THEY STILL CLIP THE BLOODY LEASH TO THE BACK OF THE HARNESS!!!
Quoted for truth.
Funny I was just having this debate on thechickenloop.com
The other persons argument was if your harness has pins to let the handle pass handle go then it is safer because it gives you a 3rd possible release if the leash malfunctions (or you can't reach it).
My guess is it would be as hard to find these pins while being dragged backwards as it was for you to find your knife....

Return to “Safety”