Local Beach: Lake Champlain
Favorite Beaches: Magdalen Island , Baja
Style: freeride
Gear: Ozone , North
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

How to modify the security system on an old Slingshot Fuel 12 meters kite

Postby early bird2 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:35 pm

I have an old Slingshot Fuel 12 meters like new condition . I bought it new back in 2003 .
I have followed the trend and bought so many kites since then . I have Reos , Neos , Chronos v2 ,but I took this kite out last summer for a ride and found this kite not bad at all . The security was on a back line and I remember to have read that these were dangerous , is there a way to modify it , may be a fifth line ? regular front line ?
Yes I could modify it and go out to give it a try but I thought may be someone here found a way , (other than throw it in the garbage ) Thanks !

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: How to modify the security system on an old Slingshot Fuel 12 meters kite

Postby Starsky » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:51 pm

Um, maybe just use one of your newer bars.

kiterocky
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier
Gear: Wipika
Brand Affiliation: Wipika

Postby kiterocky » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:53 pm

Garbage....

early bird2
Medium Poster

Postby early bird2 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:14 pm

Starsky wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:51 pm
Um, maybe just use one of your newer bars.
This is what I first thought , it would then kill the kite by a front line . I don't know how they do with the new C kite ?

early bird2
Medium Poster

Postby early bird2 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:15 pm

kiterocky wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:53 pm
Garbage....
Did you have one ?

kiterocky
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier
Gear: Wipika
Brand Affiliation: Wipika

Postby kiterocky » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:29 pm

I had many....if u real have neos evo and chronos....better use them...u can sell to make bag and jacket

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:35 pm

rear line and front line on those old fuels are equally as safe. What happens when you hit the QR is that in high wind the kite will spin like a top and tangle up all your lines. Just ignore the spinning and don't worry about the sphaghetti of lines, just stay calm and do a normal self rescue it won't pull that hard while it's spinning. The ONLY way to make this kite behave when you pull the QR is to use a 5th line system. 5th line system on those old fuels also make them perform a bit better. Make sure if you use a 5th line it is NOT taught. You want to see the line sagging a little bit when it's in the air that will mean it's properly tuned. New bars that use single line center flagging work fine on those old fuels, safer than the rear line systems not that there's anything wrong with the rear line system but the modern QRs are just more reliable they operate more reliably will release when the lines are tensionsed over all better, except for that old slingshot lock n load. If you have the lock and load that's a fantastic reliable QR works every time never pulls when you don't want it to releases easily under pressure one of the few QRs from back in the day that work fine. The only problem with the lock n load is to remember to pull instead of push. Anyway, that's about it. If you want a modern 5th line system, for a fuel I would not recommend the North or Naish 5 line systems, as the fuel wants to breath more, so don't get a 5th line system that has that "high Y" make sure if you get a 5th line system you have the one with the V so the kite can breath. If you don't want it sell it to me! I like how those old fuels fly like you said not bad, and relaunch . . . well, if you know the "opposite lines" trick for the old C kites relaunch is easy. They didn't use to teach opposite lines relaunch back in 2003, they taught the swimming method, the reason being that most bars back then were high Y so you couldn't grab both rear and opposite center at the same time, but now, modern bars are mostly V's so relaunch on those old C's is a lot easier with the new control bars.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Starsky » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:45 pm

edt wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:35 pm
rear line and front line on those old fuels are equally as safe.
Totally. The front lines are like only a foot from the rears! I personally wouldn't go back farther than 09 for a decent fuel. That was the first year they went with a wide enough wing tip. The Torch you could maybe get away with an 08.

That 03 will be great for about a 5 knot range. You could maybe get another couple knots of top end if your smart enough to rig it with a 5th line you can trim.

I

early bird2
Medium Poster

Postby early bird2 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:39 pm

kiterocky wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:29 pm
I had many....if u real have neos evo and chronos....better use them...u can sell to make bag and jacket
Yes I really have these kites and many more . In fact I had forgotten this Slingshot , Found it in such a good shape that I decided to give it a try , I live directly on the water . I also had the 16 meters but sold it many years ago .¸
I had sown a tab to add a fifth line to help launching on the snow but did not work so good and I ended up with foils , Ozone Frenzy , yakuzas , Mantas , Access for strong wind and now Chronos .
I have a feeling that this Fuel jumps better than my Neos and Reos . So currently ice is melting on the lake and I thought I could give it a try for fun before the RIP....

early bird2
Medium Poster

Postby early bird2 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:46 pm

edt wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:35 pm
rear line and front line on those old fuels are equally as safe. What happens when you hit the QR is that in high wind the kite will spin like a top and tangle up all your lines. Just ignore the spinning and don't worry about the sphaghetti of lines, just stay calm and do a normal self rescue it won't pull that hard while it's spinning. The ONLY way to make this kite behave when you pull the QR is to use a 5th line system. 5th line system on those old fuels also make them perform a bit better. Make sure if you use a 5th line it is NOT taught. You want to see the line sagging a little bit when it's in the air that will mean it's properly tuned. New bars that use single line center flagging work fine on those old fuels, safer than the rear line systems not that there's anything wrong with the rear line system but the modern QRs are just more reliable they operate more reliably will release when the lines are tensionsed over all better, except for that old slingshot lock n load. If you have the lock and load that's a fantastic reliable QR works every time never pulls when you don't want it to releases easily under pressure one of the few QRs from back in the day that work fine. The only problem with the lock n load is to remember to pull instead of push. Anyway, that's about it. If you want a modern 5th line system, for a fuel I would not recommend the North or Naish 5 line systems, as the fuel wants to breath more, so don't get a 5th line system that has that "high Y" make sure if you get a 5th line system you have the one with the V so the kite can breath. If you don't want it sell it to me! I like how those old fuels fly like you said not bad, and relaunch . . . well, if you know the "opposite lines" trick for the old C kites relaunch is easy. They didn't use to teach opposite lines relaunch back in 2003, they taught the swimming method, the reason being that most bars back then were high Y so you couldn't grab both rear and opposite center at the same time, but now, modern bars are mostly V's so relaunch on those old C's is a lot easier with the new control bars.
Wow ! this is exactly what I wanted to know , I appreciate these tips very much . I already have a tab added on the kite for a fifth line and it might work on one of my 2017 Ozone Access bar equipped with a fifth line flagging system. I'm going to experiment this in light wind first to see how it works . Thanks .

Return to “Safety”