Style: Beginner, freeride foil
Gear: Sabfoil W799/S400/F663/M93KMS
RDB trigger board 120cm
Cabrinha Contra 1S 5, 7, 9 and 11m
Flysurfer Soul2 12m

Drift launch - consistently get steering and front line tangled

Postby aniva » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:27 pm

Hi,
I am beginner, been practicing drif launch due to most local places do not have enough shore space (tree line etc.). Following many videos on YouTube where rider basically (after walking lines and rigging like for normal assisted launch) then wraps lines, again like normal (using figure 8), grabs kite and bar and then, when on the water, let kite go down wind and proceeds with water relaunch.

For example:

Ok, everything goes normal but cosistently getting front and steering lines tangled. I understand that when I wrap lines, I accidentally make bar spin around centre line and this is what ruins it. Spoke with other kiteboarder and he said that for him it is the same problem and pretty much a gamble to get it right, so he does not do drift launch at all. But I am sure there should be a silver bullet solution to do it right, perhaps wrap lines only when hooked and unwrap too, perhaps always put bar under the kite, perhaps I am making other mistake? Any advice from forum?
Cheers,
Aniva

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Drift launch - consistently get steering and front line tangled

Postby Hugh2 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:31 pm

Do you absolutely have to wrap the lines up? We drift launch all the time, even sometimes do it in severe conditions when launching at the beach to avoid a sand launch, but always have just enough space to walk back up to the kite with the bar attached, then lift the kite and drag the lines behind into the water. You have to watch for any tangles and catching on branches and debris if doing it alone (of if not have someone watch your lines for you), and be ready to try again if that happens rather than hope for the best.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:59 pm

+1

I agree with Hugh2. You can also put your kite at water's edge (one tip in the water and one tip on the sand), walk upwind without winding lines onto bar, make sure all lines are clear, and then simply pull the kite off the beach into the water. How ever you do it (winding lines on bar or not), you should always hold your bar horizontal in one hand so that it doesn't twist or invert your lines as you walk. If you let the bar dangle from the chicken loop while you walk, you greatly increase the risk of twisted or inverted lines.

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:25 pm

I never wrap lines. What I do (works very well in any winds, but I don’t use this in larger shore break)

1.) lay out lines, make sure no sticks are caught in lines

2.) double check your lines. Do not skip this step.

3.) In stronger winds, place a couple handfuls of sand over all four lines, maybe ever 5 meters, this prevents lines from blowing into obstacles while there is slack in lines, especially helpful in onshore wind and narrow beaches. Don’t bury them, just a a bit of weight to keep everything tidy.

4.) hook into bar, then walk to kite and grab it. Walk into water as far as is reasonable. Flip kite over on water, into the wind as if you were putting it down on land. All four lines should be directly down wind of you in the water.

5.) scoop some water onto the leading edge so it stays in place while the lines are slack. Failure to do this can lead to kite taking off as soon as you let go of it.

6.) rotate the kite maybe 20 degrees to either side, then let it go and swim directly up wind while the kite drifts down from you. Don’t throw the kite and don’t send it spinning, just rotate it enough so that it will prefer one side or the other when slack is out of lines. In heavy winds (30+ knots), I’ll scoop as much water as I can on the canopy to keep it behaved for the few seconds when lines have slack.

K-Roy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Taiba, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit X, XII, Breeze V2. and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Mitu Pro, Fone foil
Brand Affiliation: Fone brand Ambassador

Postby K-Roy » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:44 pm

when I drift launch: on land, I roll up my lines and put the bar over the kite on the LE horizontally.
From here on, the bar and kite only moves together until I walk in to the water.
At this point (when in the water) I hook my leash on the pump leash loop, so I can let go of the kite and start winding down the lines as I walk backwards.
(like this the lines are stretched and less likely to get knots)
Just before you turn the kite back down on it face, make sure none of the lines went "around" the kite as I think that is how the crossing of the lines happen.

ps: as in most cases, every method can and should be customised to fit your location. my home spot is on shore wind with rocks and tree line on water edge, waist deep water for 200m.

hope it helps

cheers

ScottKD
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Auckland
Gear: CrazyFly
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby ScottKD » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:27 pm

K-Roy's description is pretty bang on in my experience.

After setting up, when you wrap your lines back onto the bar and go back to your kite, put the bar OVER the kite, not under. Putting it under results in the twist I think you're describing, back lines through front lines.

If you're talking about a full blown tangle when you unwind the bar, I recommend keeping the kite with you in the water, letting the lines drift down wind as you unwind, then set the kite off while walking back. Lines should come right when tension comes on. Water on the canopy helps slow the kite as it drifts downwind, and keep it on the water stopping it from spinning and catching wind too soon too.

Try it in light wind until you're confident, I imagine it can be pretty hairy above 20 knots if it goes wrong.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:01 am

aniva wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:27 pm
Hi,
I am beginner, been practicing drif launch due to most local places do not have enough shore space (tree line etc.). Following many videos on YouTube where rider basically (after walking lines and rigging like for normal assisted launch) then wraps lines, again like normal (using figure 8), grabs kite and bar and then, when on the water, let kite go down wind and proceeds with water relaunch. For example: https://youtu.be/VE9eNuESpK4
Ok, everything goes normal but cosistently getting front and steering lines tangled. I understand that when I wrap lines, I accidentally make bar spin around centre line and this is what ruins it. Spoke with other kiteboarder and he said that for him it is the same problem and pretty much a gamble to get it right, so he does not do drift launch at all. But I am sure there should be a silver bullet solution to do it right, perhaps wrap lines only when hooked and unwrap too, perhaps always put bar under the kite, perhaps I am making other mistake? Any advice from forum?
Cheers,
Aniva
In that video, the kite turns while all the lines are slack, so (as he says) all the lines pass under the kite. I used to do drift launches using the Cabrinha IDS system, and when rotating the kite on the water, I had to make sure that the steering line which was furthest away (as I was turning the kite on the water) was slack enough to pass under the kite as I rotated the kite, otherwise the line would be wrapped around the centrelines.

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:56 am

I drift launch 90% of the time. When I pump up my kite (leading edge facing shore) it is 30 m from the shore line and my bar and lines are set up in front of the kite. Once every thing is set up I hook in and walk towards the kite. Once I am at the kite pick it up at the middle of leading edge. I place the bar under my elbow. I walk back to the shore line with kite. Pick up my board with my free hand and walk/swim out a safe distance from shore. If winds are strong I put water on canopy before I release the kite. Once released I get moving away from the kite to limit the time the lines are slack.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:08 pm

ScottKD wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:27 pm
K-Roy's description is pretty bang on in my experience.

After setting up, when you wrap your lines back onto the bar and go back to your kite, put the bar OVER the kite, not under. Putting it under results in the twist I think you're describing, back lines through front lines.

If you're talking about a full blown tangle when you unwind the bar, I recommend keeping the kite with you in the water, letting the lines drift down wind as you unwind, then set the kite off while walking back. Lines should come right when tension comes on. Water on the canopy helps slow the kite as it drifts downwind, and keep it on the water stopping it from spinning and catching wind too soon too.

Try it in light wind until you're confident, I imagine it can be pretty hairy above 20 knots if it goes wrong.
You can wrap your lines and slide the lines under the kite if you approach from a wing tip. Just lift the kite as you go and the lines will slide easily under the leading edge. Be sure not to pass the bar through the lines or a bridal.
I do this all the time and never invert the lines.

aniva
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Local Beach: Southern Ontario, Canada
Style: Beginner, freeride foil
Gear: Sabfoil W799/S400/F663/M93KMS
RDB trigger board 120cm
Cabrinha Contra 1S 5, 7, 9 and 11m
Flysurfer Soul2 12m

Postby aniva » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:15 pm

Thanks a lot for all the replies, I get this recommendation to NOT wind up the lines, like on this video https://youtu.be/_uPqvz1lFnE but , but no such luxury as a beach here: there are lots of bushes and small trees next to the shore, so this is not and option and lines have to be wrapped.
I also do not get that about lines passed under the kite or not, i.e. of course lines have to be under the kite regardless whether rigging downwind or upwind as kite should not “roll” and neither bar should roll. There is another excellent video (in Russian) about rolling https://youtu.be/yXG4S16Vtfs and he shows what happens using little model of the kite in the second part of the video , so I believe that my problem is related i.e. I am making some movement with bar (at some point) that is opposite of what he does on the video to “unroll” the kite. Problem is that is not clear how to 100% avoid it and comments above are great but no clear solution...

Return to “Safety”