Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Mallorca by Toby

Postby Toby » Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:21 am

Latest info:
the best spot now in summer is a beach called 'Son Serra' in the bay of Alcudia (NE part of the island).

In summer 2001 I went to Mallorca.
Not to much wind in general, but Mallorca has thermical winds.
I will show you some pics of the best kitebeaches:

"Can Pastilla" Platja de Palma (Beaches of El Arenal):

At the right side is a fence of a small harbour, that's where you walk in. At the end of the fence the water gets deep.
Normally the winds start at 1 pm until 4 pm.It comes from this view sideshore from right to left.
This spot is not good for beginners, since it is VERY crowded.
The beach of El Arenal goes along the left side and goes all the way down to the end of the buildings you see in the background.

Here you can see, that there is a lot of space to start and land. The locals start with a 5.th line.

And here the view to the kitebeach. All the way to the left you can see the harbour. A little bit to the right that's where you start and then parallel to the beach with MANY spectators!

The other kitebeach is in the north, in the bay of "Pollensa". In summer more winds, also thermical, than Can Pastilla. The beach for beginners. Can be VERY packed with kiters, which makes it hard to get out of the area where you can stand (up to 200 m of shore).
Winds are onshore. This is why it is very important to use safety leashes, since you see the street right next to the beach. Many cars drive by. So always go out as far as possible to have enough space to get bodydragged.

A little bit south of Pollensa is the big bay of "Alcudia".
Winds are less than in Pollensa. But be carefull, because in th emiddle of the bay the wind can be a lot stronger than at the beach. And we had side/onshore winds!
Fun is the shallow water right at the beach with a small sandbank where you can jump over it.

view to the south:

But watch out, if there is a big fire anywhere on the island, like this one

Because these guys will come and this can cause a lot of trouble for the kites!!!

Last edited by Toby on Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christian Ingels
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Christian Ingels » Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:29 pm

Hi- I can see that the travel info is much better now- Did you have problems with thw fire fliers? Looks as if it could get really nasty to get tangled with such a big boy :wink:

Anyways- both your spots described are very fare from where I am gonna live- so maybe I'll put in a extraexplanation of spots where I live (If I can find any places close...

Thank you for your describtion though-

/Christian

DanielIsern
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby DanielIsern » Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:22 pm

Hi, I don´t really recomend to come to Mallorca in Summer. It´s much better if you come from september to Juny.

Kind regards from Mallorca :)

Return to “Travel”