All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: 4 months+ - recommend me a place please!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:25 pm 
Rare Poster

Hey - I'm hoping to get a couple of new ideas here.

We have 4 months - Nov-Feb this winter and want to spend it somewhere warm with great kiting.

Specifically we'd love a nice chill village with good people where we can rent a 1 bed on/very close to the beach for ideally ~ 1000USD/month, good wind, ideally a mix of flat and waves, and internet that is somewhat functional (even if we need 2 connections to get there).

We're considering anywhere in central/south america or Africa. Asia's out due to time zones being too difficult to work with (we work remotely).

Currently considering:

Mexico (yucatan & la ventana)
Belize (caye caulker)
Cape Town
Cape Verde (visa situation seems like a PITA)

Carribean seems too expensive, except for the DR, but I've no desire to go back to Cabarete.

Panama? Guatemala? Are there any gems that we should be looking at?

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: 4 months+ - recommend me a place please!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:53 pm 
Medium Poster

i would recommend Brasil, many small villages in Ceara( like Cumbuco, flexeiras, Taiba, Jericoacoara), Piaui( barra grande, coqueiros) and Rio Grande do Norte( Sao miguel do gostoso, Pipa, Tibau do Sul) that I think would meet your criteria and are windy during that time of the year. Internet sucks but is workable. good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:48 pm 
Rare Poster

Hello.

Nicaragua, in the carribean coast, is good for kitesurf. And also Ometepe in the nicaragua lake.

The life is cheap and with 400$ by month you can have a nice house.

I live in Bluefields, and there is still a lot of spots to discover.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:27 am 
Medium Poster

Like lots of other folk, I go to Cape Town for at least a month each of their summers, and will be there for January and February this year. Not a village, and $1000 will not get you a place right on the beach, but close enough. Internet is fine, winds are great, waves can be great, flat water is an hour and a half north at Langebaan, or 2 hours east at Witsands. Some say the cold water is not great, but a standard wetsuit or even a shorty is fine, and the weather is warm with tons of sunshine, so you hardly notice the water temp. Really nice thing is so much else to do, like hiking, climbing, safari, sailing, night life, winelands, good food, etc., plus some competitions to watch, including KOTA in late February. Hard to beat, hence hundreds of other kite surfers too. Oh and the downwinders are great, just get a local bus card and you can ride back from a 10 mile downwinder. And if there for 4 months, you could take a couple weeks for a trip up the east coast to at least East London, winds are less reliable, but surf is more varied, with some point breaks including world class surf spots.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:20 pm 
Rare Poster

I don't want to make another topic so I ask here.

I searching for a kite destination (or many) where the beach is close to the accommodation(walking distance, no need to rent a car), and I prefer hostels where I could meet other people (maybe kitesurfers).
Boracay was great, hostel close to the kitebeach, good nightlife, cheap. But the beach and water was too crowded there. Hua hin was also good, cheap accommodation close to the beach etc.
Wearing a wetsuit isn't a problem, and I don't need 100% wind guarantee. More than 50% "12m days" is enough.
Recommendations?

[ 5 posts ]