knot_moving
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: 9m, 13m bandit 3, SS Turbine,
Underground FLX 138, Sector V2 60, Jimmy Lewis Flight Deck
Brand Affiliation: None

Kitesurfing Cuba

Postby knot_moving » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:19 pm

Saw this & it looked interesting. Any firsthand reports from people who've been there?

http ://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-34766886

Lifetravellerz
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Favorite Beaches: Dolphin Beach, Capetown
Gear: Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kitesurfing Cuba

Postby Lifetravellerz » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:30 pm

Hi,
I have been to cuba last year december/january and we have found quite good conditions on different spots. If you have wide range of kites (8-17qm²) you will have a lot of fun on cuba. I have written a kitespot guide about cuba, unfortunately it is in german. Anyhow maybe you can use google translate.

http://www.lifetravellerz.com/sports/kitesurfen/kuba-kite-info/

cheerz

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Kp, MBay, Rond
Favorite Beaches: Kp, MBay, Rond, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen4 Flites 10m, 12m and 14.5m, 2016 Prodigy 5m and 7m
Xeon Laluz, 2010 OR Mako Wide 150, Mako Classic 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6'
Engine Custom Harness and sliding hook setup

Re: Kitesurfing Cuba

Postby Laughingman » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:08 pm

knot_moving wrote:Saw this & it looked interesting. Any firsthand reports from people who've been there?

http ://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-34766886

I have been there every year for the last 7 years sometimes twice.

There are some amazing spots to kite, I also saw this article since we had not been to that spot yet I messaged the school... guess what... no answer. This is pretty typical in Cuba.
What can I say... Cuba has pretty much the same wind conditions as Florida... maybe more like the Florida Keys, there is a very light prevailing east wind which when influenced by the right weather systems can produce moderately good conditions. I would not go to Cuba without your big kite, I think the smallest kite I have ever used there was an 8.5m, and that is rare. Most days with wind are from 10 knots to 16 knots, rarely will you see 20+
This is a 3rd world country
The houses and buildings are old and in disrepair. The cars are running for the most part on bio diesel and pollute with a very smelly black smoke, visiting downtown Havana may take years off your life just breathing the pollution. If you plan on renting a house do your homework on where to find food and the regular things you would expect to find. If you stay at a resort be ready for certain things to just not be available, like paper towel in the public washrooms to dry your hands... or soap, or you know sometimes they have bacon at breakfast, sometimes not, onions and garlic are also sporadic.
Its like there is one guy in charge of importing everything and he is kinda lazy... I was there on business once meeting with the tourism board in Havana. We were about ready to do our presentation when this one guy stands up, starts yelling at us, our translator starts saying he has a bunch of golf carts that need parts and they cannot get them cause the Canadian company that supplied them moved to the USA... he wants us to fix that before he will listen to our presentation....lol.

Yet I am going back in a few weeks... just can't seem to shake the place.

Pete

Return to “Travel”