Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Seeking Recommendations for Hydrofoiling Kitesurfing Spots with Consistent Light Winds and Civilization Nearby

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
vanart
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Seeking Recommendations for Hydrofoiling Kitesurfing Spots with Consistent Light Winds and Civilization Nearby

Postby vanart » Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:29 am

Hey fellow kitesurfing enthusiasts!

I hope you're all having a fantastic time out on the water. I'm reaching out to this awesome community in search of some recommendations for kitesurfing spots that are ideal for hydrofoiling. Specifically, I'm looking for spots that offer a combination of low but consistent winds and the convenience of civilization nearby.

I've been practicing my hydrofoiling skills for a while now, and I'm eager to explore new spots that provide the perfect environment for this thrilling discipline.

While I appreciate the raw beauty of remote kitesurfing locations, I'm currently looking for spots that strike a balance between nature and civilization. Ideally, I'd like to have access to amenities like , accommodations, and medical facilities within a reasonable distance from the kite launch area. Safety is a top priority for me, and having these conveniences nearby can be a game-changer.

So, if you've come across any kitesurfing spots that fit the bill – consistent low winds for hydrofoiling and a touch of civilization – please share your recommendations. I'm open to exploring new places and experiencing the kitesurfing culture in different parts of the world.

Don't forget to mention any local tips, hidden gems, or even your personal experiences at these spots. Your insights will be immensely valuable as I plan my next kitesurfing adventure.

Thanks in advance, and may the wind always be in your favor!

Happy kitesurfing,
Last edited by vanart on Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mati
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 75
Favorite Beaches: Woodman Point
Style: Big air/Wakestyle/Foil
Gear: -

Re: Seeking Recommendations for Hydrofoiling Kitesurfing Spots with Consistent Low Winds and Civilization Nearby

Postby mati » Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:44 am

Hi there! Where are you based? I reckon good flight connections are also important. Are you looking for a specific time of the year?

lederhosen
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 80kg
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic4 12m
Kitech FRS 9m
Peak4 3m
Peak5 4m, 6m, 8m

Zeeko Spitfire Xlw, Xxlw
Eleveight Process 135

Re: Seeking Recommendations for Hydrofoiling Kitesurfing Spots with Consistent Low Winds and Civilization Nearby

Postby lederhosen » Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:42 am

Lake Garda is a nice spot for holiday. You can stay in Malcesine and kite in the early morning, then drive to Verona or Trento or Bolzano and spend a day there.

Morning kites at Garda are pretty:

These users thanked the author lederhosen for the post (total 2):
vanart (Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:43 pm) • CaptainKook (Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:38 am)
Rating: 6.06%

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:46 am

Texas maybe unless your looking for cheaper places to go. Houston, Corpus, and SPI have all of what you are looking for. Here in Houston the wind is lighter than the other 2 spots. Corpus has the best wind well strongest winds, and SPI is the most touristy.

vanart
Medium Poster

Postby vanart » Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:03 pm

Thank you for all the good ideas,
I am from Vancouver BC,
Looking for a place where one could stay comfortably a season with no need to break a bank .
6-8 knots are already will do the trick!
Here is an example:

lifeinthehood
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 72 kg
Local Beach: Hood River
Style: Freeride
Gear: BRM Cloud 2.8/3.7/4.8/6.2. Ocean Rodeo A-Roam 8m. Cloud CCS. Kanaha Shapes 42"/MFC 1000/200/92cm. Slingshot Hopecraft/PFH657/325/102cm.

Postby lifeinthehood » Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:22 pm

For winter time? La Ventana is the easy answer for you. Short travel time from Vancouver, BC. It's not exactly "low" wind, but it sounds like you're comfortable enough foiling, so here's how you take it to the next level.

If you want something for Oct, Hood River should have some decent low wind foiling weather for the next few weeks. Though it can be a bit of gamble at this time of year. Check iKitesurf and thegorgeismygym for short term forecasts. You will want at least a 4/3 wetsuit.

In springtime, head to South Padre Island in Texas.

vanart
Medium Poster

Postby vanart » Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:35 pm

lifeinthehood wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:22 pm
For winter time? La Ventana is the easy answer for you. Short travel time from Vancouver, BC. It's not exactly "low" wind, but it sounds like you're comfortable enough foiling, so here's how you take it to the next level.

If you want something for Oct, Hood River should have some decent low wind foiling weather for the next few weeks. Though it can be a bit of gamble at this time of year. Check iKitesurf and thegorgeismygym for short term forecasts. You will want at least a 4/3 wetsuit.

Thank you,
Though I have been there many times...
High winds plus relatively too cold during the winter for my liking......
Wanted something really light and warm....

mati
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 75
Favorite Beaches: Woodman Point
Style: Big air/Wakestyle/Foil
Gear: -

Re: Seeking Recommendations for Hydrofoiling Kitesurfing Spots with Consistent Light Winds and Civilization Nearby

Postby mati » Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:48 am

May to October is great, light and warm in Mallorca. Plenty of days 8-12 knots, once or twice a week at least 15-18 knots.

lifeinthehood
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 72 kg
Local Beach: Hood River
Style: Freeride
Gear: BRM Cloud 2.8/3.7/4.8/6.2. Ocean Rodeo A-Roam 8m. Cloud CCS. Kanaha Shapes 42"/MFC 1000/200/92cm. Slingshot Hopecraft/PFH657/325/102cm.

Postby lifeinthehood » Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:50 pm

vanart wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:35 pm
lifeinthehood wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:22 pm

Thank you,
Though I have been there many times...
High winds plus relatively too cold during the winter for my liking......
Wanted something really light and warm....
In that case, I can also recommend Progreso, Mexico. I was there last winter from Jan-Apr. In those 4 months, I easily kite foiled over 2/3 of the time. Between March and April alone, I had about 50 sessions. Wind is typically 12-15 knots and comes up very consistently every afternoon. Favorable side shore winds - predominantly NE wind on a NNW facing shore. Very warm water - only needed a full 3/2 wetsuit once or twice in Jan/Feb and primarily because of cool air from the El Norte storms. After that, only board shorts and a rash guard just for UV and jellyfish protection (I never encountered one in the water). Slight downside to foiling is that the water is quite shallow for about 30m. So you have to walk out for a minute before body dragging for another minute before it's deep enough to start. Close to Merida which itself is a very fun city to explore. Merida is the airport you would fly into.

I would try to stay near the kite schools for greatest convenience. They have fresh water to rinse your gear and artificial turf to setup on. I recommend Alpha Kite, but YucKite is the big school in the area. The schools may charge a small fee for usage (Alpha Kite's was 25 pesos), but well worth it. I liked Alpha Kite because it also had a great hang out area with a very active group of locals who were easy to get to know and socialize with. Most are fluent in English if your Spanish isn't.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Re: Seeking Recommendations for Hydrofoiling Kitesurfing Spots with Consistent Light Winds and Civilization Nearby

Postby Slappysan » Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:42 pm

I haven't kited there myself but I think Jomtien Beach near Pattaya, Thailand has year round light wind and 30 degree weather all year. Pattaya has plenty of infrastructure, but it's not the nicest city in Thailand. One big plus is how close you are to Bangkok though.
These users thanked the author Slappysan for the post:
vanart (Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:25 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Travel”