Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Viganj/Perna, Croatia - wind conditions?

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
robertc
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Copenhagen
Gear: Rebel 2015 12/9, Xenon Laluz
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Viganj/Perna, Croatia - wind conditions?

Postby robertc » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:23 am

Heya,

I'll be staying not far from the Viganj/Perna kite spots during the second half of August.

How are the wind conditions there, at that time?

Wisuki stats look very poor, but they're pretty well known kite spots, so I'm wondering if there's more to the story. Maybe the weather model doesn't take into account the funnel effect between Peljesac and Korcula?

I'm just wondering if I should be taking my 12m with me, since it won't fly in 10kt... any info very appreciated! :)

P.S. I'm actually staying in Klek, which is much closer to the Neretva spot, but if Viganji isn't windy, I'm guessing Neretva won't be windy either.

Rufusz
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton, Hungary
Favorite Beaches: Hurghada, Egypt
Viganj, Croatia
El Médano, Tenerife
Style: Foil, Freeride
Gear: Kitech 6m2, 9m2, 15m2 foil kites
Moses Fluente
Flysurfer radical4
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Viganj/Perna, Croatia - wind conditions?

Postby Rufusz » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:22 am

If the air is warm enough there is wind every day, but usually not that strong. I was there 3 times for a week each and could ride most days.
However I used my 15m2 foil and skimboard a lot :-)
Last year we were there in the 1st week of September and many windsurfers were complaining about the lack of wind.

Korcula definitely worth a visit its just a short ferry from Viganj!

As far as I know Neretva works the same way, thermal winds but I've been there only once to check out the spot.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:47 pm

Ok, spent 2 weeks last year @Peljasac.

This is what I've been using instead of winguru and similar:

http://www.livecamcroatia.com/najljepse ... eb-kamera/

Neretva and Viganj is like waay different. Viganj is crowded and choppy. Neretva is relaxed, wide open and flat water. Neretva would be my preferred spot next time coz at Viganj there is absolutely no place to land/launch. I am used to wide open spaces (of AU), and Neretva definitely is large enough.

However, I think Neretva doesn't work much on "jugo" - southern wind. Viganj might. Take =>12m.

Since u're @Klek, I wouldn't bother going to Viganj. Just drive up a bit and you can leave your car on the road and walk down to the kiting spot (I think, but take with a bit of salt). The locals might know better :)

And say hello to Vinka and Vinko @NK from Drazen :)

robertc
Rare Poster

Postby robertc » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:39 pm

Thanks a lot for the replies, guys :)

Would you say during Mistral both spots get as much wind, or is Viganji always a few knots more?

There are live wind meters online for Viganj and Ploce, but the latter is not exactly at the Neretva spot, so I'm not sure it can be trusted much. And it's all about 11kt - meh, vs 14kt - decent.

@Rufusz: I've actually been in Orebic in 2008, trying out windsurfing back then. Visited Korcula as well :)

@downunder: Thanks, and I'll say hi :)

downunder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby downunder » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:40 am

So,

one month after, how did you go?!

robertc
Rare Poster

Postby robertc » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:34 am

Hehe, I did go there two weeks ago and it was great :)

The week started off with jugo, and with that direction Neretva didn't work at all - had only 9kt. At the same time the wind meter in Viganj was showing up to 17kt, but I didn't get a chance to go there.

Then mistral came back and for 3 days we had 13-16kt starting at 3-4pm and continuing until the sunset. Everyone (30+ kites) stayed at the main spot. I'm guessing Kaikala beach on the other end has less wind. I measured those 13-16kt with my Sleipnir and at the same time the wind meter in Viganj was showing about as much - so it seems in mistral both Neretva and Viganj get as much wind. The Ploce wind station wasn't representative of Neretva at all.

The spot itself is very nice too. Awesome views with the mountains in the background :) Big shallow area with flat water, although that part was always so crowded, I had to cruise in with my kite at zenith. So normally I stayed away from the crowd, on the open , deep water - but even there it wasn't very choppy at all.

One negative thing is the motorboat support. They always chase you to pay 50kn before launching, which would be fair if it gave any support. But on the last day 4 kites went down outside of the shallow water as the wind suddenly died. One of them was my buddy's. It took the boat guy over 20 minutes to even get into the boat after it was clear they can't get their kites up. Then it took him forever to fish them out, already almost at the other end of the bay, as they were drifting for 30-40 minutes at that point. The beach house had no radio contact with the boat, so if some serious emergency happened when the boat is far out, they would have no way to let the guy know. They never even fished my buddy out (run out of space in the boat?), and after drifting 50 minutes he got to the opposite shore, where we picked him up by car. So yea.

In any case I had 3 nice sessions, so that's great :D
Croatia-kite-3.jpg

downunder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby downunder » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:01 pm

Excellent, glad to hear.

Didn't know about the boat. I think they have a beach concession for operating the business there and this costs a lot. Not sure about the other countries, I normally pay about $100 per week in Indonesia.
Anyways, good stuff.

D.

Return to “Travel”