Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5 - 7.0 - 9.0 OR Flite 12.0
Cabrinha S-Quad 5'7 - Cabrinha Caliber - Zeeko B&W foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

4 months workplacement in Cumbuco, Brazil

Postby Frank(ite) » Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:30 pm

Hi there,

I’m now for over 3 weeks in the most reliable windy place in the world, Cumbuco in Brazil. Yesterday I spoke someone who is already here from May. He told me that there were 3 days in that period that it was not possible to go kiting, really amazing!
I’m here for a work placement with Windtown, which is setting up business here. I.e. a pousada, kiteschool, kitesurfshop and a beachhouse for renting kite- and windsurfequipment.
I flew to Fortaleza with TAP-air, for me that was ideal, because I had a lot of stuff to carry with me. With TAP you can have 2 pieces luggage of 32 kg and 6 kg hand-luggage. Yes, you read it well, 70 kg in total! You probably make a stop over in Lisbon, but all that goes very fast. From Fortaleza Airport it is an hour drive to Cumbuco.
If you are coming from Europe, you don’t need a visa. For other countries you have to check your local embassy. Coming from Europe you only have to fill out 2 forms in the plane and that’s it. At the airport you get a stamp in you passport from the customs and then you can enter easygoing Brazil!
I’m here since the 23rd of September and most of the time I have been using my Rrd Type7 9.0, sometimes 12 and once my 7.0 (I’m 75kg on a Rrd FourXcess 1.28/36). So if you are hesitating which kite to bring, take something between 9.0 and 12.0.
Kitesurfing here is really fun, just put on your surfshorts, harness and maybe a lycra against the sun and then hit the water! The Atlantic Ocean is really warm down here. Don’t worry about dangerous animals, the water is to warm and to shallow.
With high tide you get a pretty big shorebreak, which is possible to ride on. After the shorebreak it is choppy. But with low tide the water is the first few hundred meters flat, with some nice small waves. If you go downwind from Cumbuco for some kilometres you will see really nice waves. In my last 3 weeks I had waves up to 2.5 metres.
It is also very nice to go to Cauípe. That is a lagoon about 7 kilometres downwind from Cumbuco. It is nice to drive over there because of the beautiful scenery, but it is even more fun to make a downwinder to the lagoon. On your way you will find kilometre after kilometre the waves I told you about.
The water is fresh in the lagoon and it is really flat! Ideal to practice on your new tricks. The lagoon is pretty big, with 20-25 kiters it still good kiting.
Another lagoon you have to see is Taíba. It’s a 45 minutes drive from Cumbuco. Cauípe is bigger, that is also due to the favourable wind direction, but here are less kiters. That’s probably because it’s not so close to Cumbuco and the last kilometres the road isn’t that good. There is even a slider and a kicker for the wakestyle tricks! When I was in Taíba, I also went on the Atlantic. I had waves up to 3 metres!
When you want to make a longer downwinder then Cumbuco-Cauípe, you can also do Cumbuco-Pecém. That’s about 15 kilometres of waves. You can’t go any further than Pecém, because there you have a container terminal. But after such a long trip through those waves you will be tired. And it is not necessary to kite the whole day, because every day there is enough wind all day long.

Greetings Frank

For pictures: http://spaces.msn.com/members/franklorier/

edosan
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Puclaro (Chile)
Favorite Beaches: Puclaro (Chile), Paracuru (Brazil)
Style: No Style, I Suck! :D
Gear: Liquid Force
Brand Affiliation: Liquid Force

Postby edosan » Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:32 am

The water is fresh in the lagoon and it is really flat! Ideal to practice on your new tricks. The lagoon is pretty big, with 20-25 kiters it still good kiting.
Are you serious?

In my opinion the Lagoon is good until 15 Kites. More than that Bye!

Frank(ite)
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Domburg
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5 - 7.0 - 9.0 OR Flite 12.0
Cabrinha S-Quad 5'7 - Cabrinha Caliber - Zeeko B&W foil

Postby Frank(ite) » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:22 pm

No, that was a little bit too enthousiastic. Not more than 20 kiters, then it is pretty good.

edosan
Frequent Poster

Postby edosan » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:25 pm

now we are talking! :thumb:

Roel
Medium Poster

Postby Roel » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:00 am

Hi Guys,

This sounds great. Can't wait to go. I'm flying to Cumbuco this month (staying two weeks) and am trying to figure out what stuff to bring. Don't know exactly what to expect of the waves around Cumbuco.

I (87 kg) am considering to bring my 9 and 12 m2 kites, and my M2 Amundson board. (135-37,5 cm). And am thinking of bringing my 16m2 kite and/or a kite wave board (Rocket fish type 5,5 foot)

Is there need for the 16 m2? And would a kite wave board be smart considering the waves out there?

Considering weight is an issue regarding airflight, should I choose the 16m2 or kite wave board? Please advise!

Thanks!

Roel

edosan
Frequent Poster

Postby edosan » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:18 am

the 16 leave it if you think you will pay overweight.

Cumbuco has not good waves, maybe in the Cauipe area, but the wind is to onshore if you ask me.

Best waves Pacem, Paracuru and Iguape

EDO

KRIS
Medium Poster

Cumbuco

Postby KRIS » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:20 am

C
Last edited by KRIS on Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Frankieboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frankieboy » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:05 pm

Hi,
I plan to come in December (around Xmas) for 14 days.
What spot and accomodation would you advice if I come with wife and kid (2year's old)? Do you have any web link or email for accomodation?
I don't plan to drive every day. More like kiting in front of the accomodation (and family) and sometimes drive to another spot.
I am looking for constant wind and would like to improve my wave riding.

Also, my quiver is 20-14-10 with 130x39TT and surfboard. I weight 100kg => what should I bring?

Thanks in advance

ps: don't hesitate to advise :wink:

Frank

KRIS
Medium Poster

to Frankie

Postby KRIS » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:23 pm

D
Last edited by KRIS on Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

edosan
Frequent Poster

Re: Cumbuco

Postby edosan » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:44 pm

KRIS wrote:Eduardo, a bit of humility in your lately multiple statements about Cumbuco, would do some justice to the true.
I apreciatte your helping intentions when is to advice to who may need it, that's why I am not caring to answer everyone asking for advice, because you are taking care of it, but, please, think aways well what you are saying.
I will not tolerate any empty comment as: There are not waves in Cumbuco.
You just have not catch any wave here because while you were around, just few weeks, and for your first time, most of this time you were just riding Cauipe, Paracuru and sometimes Golfinho (besides your 2 kite trips, 3 with the one I took you first), and not in the period of the year in which the swells are best, you never cared to look for waves, you just rode in front of Golfinho or the other two spots I just mentioned trying to improve your unhooked manoeuvres, and that was that.
Having lately so many "experts" on the Cumbuco thopic as we have, maybe it may seems there's not need to have a look to http://www.kite-surf.com on the thopic Cumbuco.
Anyway, if I was you, the one asking for advice, I would do so.
To spend two weeks, three weeks or one month around here, don't make of you a kite authority in the area, I supposse to have spend here 3 years day after day, kiting all possible spots in the state and caring to post conditions 3 times weekly for the last two years, as well as first time done kite trips and advice in general, it does.
Cheers. CRIS :D
http://www.kitefortaleza.com.br
http://www.kiteboardcumbuco.com.br
HEY CRIS, JAJA LOOK WHO IS TALKING ABOUT HUMILITY..THAT IS REALLY FUNNY I NEVER THOUGHT THAT YOU WILL EVER MAKE ME SMILE AGAIN WITH YOUR COMMENTS, BUT YOU DID IT!..... PLEASE KEEP YOUR PERSONAL COMMENTS TO YOUR SELF. I HAVE A BUNCH OF PEOPLE THAT YOU HAVE f*** ALREADY. SO YOU WILL NOT TOLERATE TRUE AND REAL COMMENTS...I WILL EXPOSE YOU AS THE REAL PERSON THAT YOU ARE AND THE ASSOCIATES THAT YOU HAVE (OR USE TO HAVE, SO PLEASE AVOID A NEXT COMMENT OR YOUR BUSINESS (IF YOU STILL HAVE ONE) WILL BE VERY OUT OF BUSINESS OVER THE NET AT LEAST AND BELIVE ME THAT I´M NOT ALONE IN THIS. IS TIME TO STOP THE BULL SHIT PERSON THAT YOU ARE. SO GO ON LETS SEE WHAT HAPPEND I ONLY WILL SPEAK WITH THE TRUE.

WE CAN START WITH THE KITETRIP THAT YOU TAKE ME, AND WE PAY FOR EVERYTHING EVEN FOR A POLICE TICKET THAT YOU HAD FOR DRIVING WITHOUT THE SEATBELT. REALLY A kITETRIP?, YOU STILL NAME KITETRIP TO THAT?, BE SERIUS!

MAKE US ALL A FAVOR, STAY IN YOUR http://WWW.KITE-SURF.COM FORUM AND KEEP THIS FORUM ALONE WITH YOUR INCREDIBLE EXPERTISE!

Return to “Travel”