Forum for travel reports and travel questions
kons
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

spending the summer in greece

Postby kons » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:19 pm

hello everyone,

right I am thinking of spending a few months in the greek islands next summer. I know it's a long time from now but I am doing the season in Canada snowboarding so need to think early due to financial restrictions. I am hoping you can help answer the following questions. Being a competant snowboarder ( I have been snowboarding for 6 years and skiing for 12) will this help me pick up kitesurfing easily? How much am I looking to spend on kiteboard gear (unlike snowboarding I am looking for beginners stuff which is cheap)? I quite like the sound of Lefkada in the Ionian see just off the west coast of greece. Does anyone know of accommodation for people who are speanding the whole summer there and are willing to share with others (like sharing a chalet in the mountains with other seasonairres)? Does Lefkada have a good summer season worker community or do you have any other recommendations for somewhere in Greece which has a good kitesurf seasonairre community, yet still has a proper greek feel to it and isn't a huge tourist resort? I know I will need lessons, but how many will I need/ how much should I budget for lessons? Is windsurfing equipment cheaper than kitesurfing gear? I have done windsurfing once and before you slate me for mentioning windsurfing, is it easier to pick up and for someone in my situtation me a better option? Any general advice and tips are greatly appreciated.

Oh and if you have any questions about boarding this winter just pm me.

vjkiter
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby vjkiter » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:39 am

Lot of questions....
Ok. Lefkada is nice but really crowded in august.Maybe Paros will do better.For a used gear(2 kites and a board) you are looking at about 1000-1500 euros. You'll find easy an accomodation but remember Greece in summer is not the cheapest place on Earth.Windsurfing gear equals kitesurfing gear in terms of money. Lessons will cost you about 30$ each.
Have fun
VJ

Return to “Travel”