All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: San Blas Islands, Las Perlas Islands, Panama info needed
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:59 pm 
Medium Poster

Does anyone have wind data or information regarding kiting in the San Blas group or the Boco del Torres group in Panama (Chame) or in the Las Perlas islands on the Pacific side? Best time of year, is it good, is it possible, etc. I'm finding it very tough to get info.

Many thanks,

Gavin

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:08 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Gavin,

Based on local reports I believe the Bocas wind will be marginal and unreliable but I never actually went there myself. I imagine wind in the Perlas might be light as well?

I think you will have better luck in the Chiriqui areas (North and South of David) where wind is more reliable but still varies a bit. I spent a few weeks in that area during February a few years ago, both on the mainland and a few small islands off of David. There were small small kite days and some big kite days. Having a boat will give you a lot of options, as the good winds often blow offshore.

I have also heard that Pointe Chame blows hard on a regular basis, but I did not go there because the area sounded a bit unappealing for my non-kiting girlfriend. I hit a few beaches between there and the border of Costa Rica, great beaches, some waves, and otherwise pleasant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:08 am 
Medium Poster

Thanks Roberto,

Sounds dicey on both sides at best. It's a tough decision- we need to be where there's wind, but the San Blas and Las Perlas are both areas I want to explore. We're thinking about redoing our first year itin a bit to slow down and give ourselves more time in the South Pacific (make it year 2 instead of second half of year 1).

I'll keep researching- thanks much for the input!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:38 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Gavin,

Yep, it's hard to get good wind archive info for the areas South of Chame. If it was something special for kiting we probably would have heard about it somewhere. I've hear the Perlas and surrounding areas are fascinating for other reasons though

(You may already know all this but) For kiting purposes you might be better off focusing on Margarita and los Roques which offers very reliable wind. A trip up the Panama & Costa Rica coastlines (both Pacific and Caribe) will produce lots of good surfing. If you venture as far North as Bahia Salinas you will get lots of good wind...but watch out for the Papagayos on the sailboat as you sail up the coastline!!! You can anchor inside Bahia Salinas which is very protected from the sea but very very windy. Bahia Salinas is great for experienced riders and very challenging and intense for beginners and intermediates. Let me know if you need more info about Costa Rica.

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:26 am 
Medium Poster

Good info, thanks. What about the Equadorian coast? Maybe that's a possibility? The best time to leave the Caribbean for Panama is November (end of the rainy season in Panama), so we've basically got 3 months to kill before heading across into the SP. Obviously a place with wind is ideal, but if we have surf, good fishing, nice anchorages- that's all we can sometimes ask for.

Cheers,

Gavin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:26 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I believe the Manta/Murcielago (Ecuador) area has good thermals when the water is cold (Nov-February?). That coud be a good coincidence for you. One of the driest places on earth I've heard, supposed to be good surf there too. Wish I knew more about it. Try doing a search on this forum for info. From the canal it is almost the same distance to Manta as going to Bahia Salinas. Galapagos are due west from Manta.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:48 am 
Rare Poster

Any follow up info on the San Blas Island for kiting? I've started some preliminary planning for a trip to Panama in March or April. I've been researching chartering a catamaran w/ captain for 7 days of a 10 day trip to Panama. I was told the trades blow 15-25 knots...sounds perfect...especially with such a long chain of deserted islands...I'm sure crowds are not an issue. :clap:

Post subject: San Blas Islands, Panama
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:47 am 
Medium Poster

Hey Nvr,

We'll be in the San Blas area this year (07') for over two months, so I'll let you know. If you're interested, check out our schedule- we still have 4 cabins available between November and January.

http://www.offshoreodysseys.com/schedule/

Cheers,

Gavin McClurg

[ 8 posts ]