Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kiting in Isle holbox, mexico

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
fetguckd
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kiting in Isle holbox, mexico

Postby fetguckd » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:10 am

Anyone see the latest issue of ISLANDS? The december issue has a killer shot at page 57 of some incredibly flat water with a waist deep beach about a quarter mile wide. Incredible looking. Apperently this area is extreamly under developed and slowly becoming popular if anyone has any info let me know. Thanks!

shastadogs2
Medium Poster

Postby shastadogs2 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:34 pm

dunno, havent seen the rag, but it sounds like isla passion on the se of the island. holbox is cool, but i have heard some sketchy things lately regarding the nationals (federales) limiting/banning kiting there because of los tortugas.

mike (from holland) used to run a school out of ahotel by the same name (los tortugas) and take boat trips daily out to the island-the only way to get there.

heya adrian-have you heard anything about holbox? and why is it, my mayan brother, that everywhere is mexico there is at least one spot called passion island? ("Im hot blooded, check it and see. . .")

jimi from oregon

CozumelTom
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby CozumelTom » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:09 pm

Holbox was totally destroyed by Hurricane Wilma in October 2005. Even several days after the Hurricane the ocean waves were breaking OVER the penninsula. There has been some rebuilding, but it has been slow. The area is a major eco sensitive spot and the Mex Gov can shut down an area fast for even the smallest perceived situation. ie. the road to the Wave Ranch in Cozumel is now closed because one of the property owners cut down some mangroves. Word was that Mike was running a trip to one of the sensitive islands that is a major nesting spot and they shut down that particular area. Other area are suppose to be open, but it is a long drive (4 hours from Cancun) to check out a spot that may be questionable. You need to get more accurate info from other sources. Cozumel has several great lagoons for glassy flat and shallow water. I did a trip 2 weeks ago with Adrian from Cozumel Kiteboarding to Monte Cristo Lagoon (boat trip) and rode glass for 3 hours. The Passion Island Lagoon (Ciega) in Cozumel has car access and you can ride flat water or head out to the mouth of the lagoon and ride some nice kickers. You can check out pictures of the lagoon on my web site. Adrian has all the info on his web site too.
Later...
Tom
http://www.cozumeltom.com

illibilli
Rare Poster

Postby illibilli » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:20 am

hey,
are you able to take ferry from Playa del Carmen to Cozumel and kite for day...then go back on ferry?
is that too much to cram in?
going next thurs for long weekend and thinking about a day trip to cozumel...possible? or spend nite?...thx...

fearlu
Frequent Poster

Postby fearlu » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:32 am

Hey Tom, is that lagoon near the Belize border? Is that Bob Miller in those fishin' shots?

fearlu
Frequent Poster

Postby fearlu » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:33 am

Hey Tom, is that lagoon near the Belize border? Is that Bob Miller in those fishin' shots?

CozumelTom
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby CozumelTom » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:57 am

Sorry Guys, I am late picking up posts as I just got back from another great week of kiting in Cozumel. While the whole Cozumel Kiteboarding fraternity was in Tampico at the no-wind / cancelled kiteboard competition, Ed Holden (ex-Real, now living in Cozumel) and I had 2 days of 9M and perfect 6-8 swell at Punta Chiqueros (Playa Bonita) all to ourselves. The restaurant now gives us a discount on food and booze because all the tourists stop and watch when we ride out front. Thanks Amigos!

For "illibilli"...lots of people take the ferry over to Cozumel for the day. No charge for your kite gear. Big coffin bags are no problem. The ferry runs every hour, is only $11 one way and takes just 45 minutes. It goes from 5 am to 11 pm. If the wind is NE, drive up to the Country Club. If it is East or SE, head to the other side of the island and ride Punta Chiqueros (Playa Bonita) or Chen Rio. You will need to rent a car or can always get a hold of Adrian at http://www.cozumelkiteboarding.com. He will pick you up at the ferry and take you to the best kite spot for the day. He has a boat for trips to the lagoon and some awesome downwinders. He is also a PASA certified instructor, has a cool surf shop (Puro Mar) and a great restaurant (Especias). If you are an experienced kiter, with confidence in waves, he can get you in to Punta Sur. Adrian has exclusive access and it is an epic experience to ride there. Probably better to go with Adrian than rent a car.

For "fearlu" ...yes that is world famous Bay Area shaper Bob Miller from Advanced Surf Designs, Cobalt Surf Boards and just about anything else that floats or flies in SFO and Santa Cruz. Bob made Chuck Patterson's first kiteboards and Bob's windsurf boards are legendary. Bob was down to Cozumel in May and caught more Barracuda than the other 3 of us combined. The shots are from Laguna Ciega or sometimes called Passion Island Lagoon. It is in the North end of Cozumel, not Belize. Belize is a couple of hundred miles south, but has the same type of mangrove/ lagoon look. I have caught some huge snook, bone fish, baby tarpon (under 30 lbs), snapper and just about everything in the lagoon. The cool thing is that nobody fishes it. The lagoon is an easy 10 minute drive from my condo and you can launch a kite, go out the lagoon mouth around Punta Norte and finish up in front of the Country Club. A great "park and fly" downwinder.
Wish I was still there,
Tom
http://www.cozumeltom.com

Return to “Travel”