All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: cape verde
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:30 pm 
Rare Poster

hey im going to sal in cape verde in feb and was hoping to get any tips and any information on the place.

thanks

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Cape Verde
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:01 pm 
Rare Poster

Just got back from Cape Verde myself. Went there with the girlfriend for a kitesurfing holiday and had a brilliant time. The wind was there every day. Somewhere between 15 and 30 knots so good idea to take a big and small kite to cover all the range. The consistancy of the wind was the best I've experienced, it was windy everyday, all day!

I took my BEST Waroo 7m, 11m and 15m and used each one on the trip to ensure I got out every day. Probably could have just about got away with the 11m but I had enough space so took the lot. I used my trusty CrazyFly Pro 132x41 as my only board. I would have loved to have had a wave specific board as well but hey!

I never kited from Santa Maria (the main resort) as the wind was pretty gusty being cross-off shore running right through the villiage. I'd travelled too far to kite in gusty winds! The water at this spot is dead flat though.

I went to shark bay (15 Euro return, 10 min taxi trip away) and the winds were great there. Smallish (3-4ft) waves coming in and the wind cross on from the left. Really stunning empty beach with only 1 small area of reef that gets exposed at low tide. The water was warm enough for board shorts and rash vest but after a couple of hourse I started getting cold so wore a shortie when the winds were great.

Parts of the town are like a building site at the minute with tons of development going on but all in all, I had a really good time. The sea food was amazing although if you've got a sensitive stomach I'd take some medication out there with you!

If you need any more info, just let me know. I booked through waveriders and flew from Manchester with Air Astreaus which was good. 5.5 hours on the way out and 8 hours on the way back (fuel stop in Gambia).

Cheers,

James

NEKitesurfing
http://www.nekitesurfing.co.uk

[ 2 posts ]