All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: La Tramontane..average 28 mph winds..incredible..!!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:10 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

What if…
There was a place with winds so constant it rendered Egypt obsolete
There was a place which was sunnier than brazil
There was a place where 5 kiters are considered a crowd
This place was only an hour and a half away
There was a place where you only need your 9m and 7m kites
as cheap as chips....

It exists..

I have just returned from an amazing week being blown away by the local wind here, in the South of France, called La Tramontane, sister to La Mistral. It blows from the North or North West and oh how it blows….in 3 day cycles with one day off, sometimes 6 days sometimes 9 days. Even on a day off it blows from the south a little lighter (SE – ‘la greek’ wind or SW) and then you just head to the beach or to the south end of the lake (see later)….locals say it’s ALWAYS windy here..and you can tell…all the bar and resturant terraces face south with wind covers. This wind blows all year ..something to do with the high in the azores. The only reason local kiters don’t kite in winter (from Dec – March)is because.. "it’s plus 10 degr but the wind is cold and makes it like zero degr…"!!. Ya what?? I spent a year in Redcar kiting AT zero with minus10 degr windchill!! The big bonus is that La Tramontane brings with it blue sky sunshine..guaranteed.
Take a look at windguru…it’s still blowing! BTW when it’s blowing from the north add 10mph to the forcast; http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=242
South of France, Lanquedoc-Roussillon, Saint Pierre la Mer with Kitezone Sudwindsports. Run by a brit Steve and his amazing team. Visithttp://www.sudwindsports.com. If you want to learn the sport do it here. This is where the Junior European Kitesurf Championship was held this year - an indication of the quality.
Camping is right on the beach 2 mins walk away.

However, this report is about another place just around the corner..Le Lac Nautique…the wind is stronger, more constant and with safety a lake provides, max depth 2m. t least 2 square miles, you could have 100 kiters on here and not have to move your kite out of the way all day. The windsurfers keep to the north of the lake. Look at it here on google earth, I’ve placemarked it:

There is a campsite (Les Mimosa’s http://www.lesmimosas.com) about 200 metres away, with 3 swim pools you can cabin it ot take a pitch. Has bar and restaurant.Those of you on a tight budget could easily pitch up lakeside.
Getting there:
Getting here is soo easy therer are a jumber of airports;
Perpignan (current ryanair flights from around £70 return)
Gerona (apparently the cheapest flights)
Carcassonne
Toulouse
Actual road place, it’s just 10 minutes off the motorway: http://www.multimap.com/maps/#t=l&map=4 ... .10716:3.0 8641:14|gruissan|Gruissan, Aude
The Kite launch is at the end of the road just above where it says Grand Mandirac. Take the turning for the Horse Stables.
Gruissan would be your nearest town and it a beautiful town surrounded by water, green with a port with bars/restaurants around the harbour.
This is a plcae for quick week end, a weeks holiday and even bringing the G/F B/F...just awesome
I know I’ll be back :thumb: :thumb:
David

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:18 pm 
Medium Poster

I was a few miles south, near Perpignan, a few weeks back, and for the week I was there it was 7-9m weather most days!!...I have never seen so many small kites!! The only prob was I only had my 12 Ion!! so I sailed later in the afternoon when the wind dropped to 25-35 mph and kept the British end up!!.
Mine was the only 12m kite I saw while I was there.
Si.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:46 pm 
Medium Poster

The area is great :) Just had 3 weeks there in Aug. 7m and 5m weather.
Checkout La Franqui :)

[ 3 posts ]