Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Airline Baggage Information

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
sourra
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Slingshot Reflex 141 + Naish Torch/Cult/Momentum/Custom + Bluebottle Custom
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Airline Baggage Information

Postby sourra » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:58 am

Well, Sterling has a pretty straight forward approach. You pay for whatever luggage you want to bring and you can pay for up to 40 kg costing you silly $10. Howeverm no bag must be no more than 32 kg so you have to divide the weight between 2 bags. Bags can be up to 135 cm long thus a golfbag with a board, three kites, 2 bars, pump and harness inside will fit just fine. You can pay for more weight on the airport, maximum is 80 kg divided on 3 bags at max 32 kg/bag.

Surfboard bags up to 30 kg cost $27 and up to 50 kg they cost $35. I don't know if that's on top of the 80 kg mentioned above but either way - it's a very decent price for a lot of luggage.

Sterling operates within Europe flying from major Scandinavian cities.

DanKiteDan
Rare Poster
Local Beach: All over the world
Gear: 2008 AirRush Vapor 10m
2008 AirRush Vapor 14m

Crazy Fly Bulldozer

Postby DanKiteDan » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:59 am

I have flown with my gear a few times and this is what I have found

Leave your tag on your bag from your last trip. Then they know that bag as been allowed on for free in the past.

When checking in do not ask about your bag if it is to big just drag it up on the scale make sure it is under 50 pounds and keep making eye contact with the person checking your bags. Don't look at your bag this will make them look at your bag.

I was over the weight limit once in Mexico and they tried to give me a hard time. Then they remembered seeing me on the news drunk and picking up the Anchor Women in the middle of her news cast. They thought that was funny and let me slide for free.

When they tell you they need to charge you don't get mad. Tell them you know they are just doing their job and that you have traveled with the bag before and never had a problem and you don't want to give them a hard time. Not flipping out goes along way

I hope this kind of helped

TheKiteLife
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Playa Copal, Costa Rica. Mancora, Peru. Maui, Hawaii. The Gorge. Miami, Florida. Heineken Beach, St.Croix, Paros, Greece, Cape Town, South Africa
Brand Affiliation: Gabes Kite Life, Transcend Kiteboard Apparel, Blade Kites, Royal Kites, The Kite Life

Postby TheKiteLife » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:37 am

I am a little suprised that some have had issues with their 'golf' bags. When I walk up and they ask how many bags; I say 2, 1 suitcase and 1 golf clubs. I have flown American, American Eagle, Frontier, and Go! (hawaii) and no ticket attendant has ever flinched.

I used to do triathlons and traveled w a bike case that didnt say bicycle anywhere on it and would often tell them it was a massage table and they would let it go thru with no charge. Once a ticket agent asked me to open the case; I said I wouldnt open it for her, but would open it for customs. She was upset, but knew she had right to search my bag. She didnt end up charging me.

So if any agent ever asks to see my 'golf' clubs (though none has), I'd ask if they have the authority to do so.

Good luck everyone...

jcbua
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jcbua » Mon May 12, 2008 2:48 am

Beware when flying Australia's Jetstar Airlines. When leaving from Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City) for Sydney got hammered on weight restrictions. Apparently there's a 20 kilo max limit for checked baggage. After 20 kilos you're looking at 12 US dollars per extra kilo. Basically, if you plan on bringing your gear you're better of flying with anyone other then Jetstar. Oh yes, after paying the extra almost 400 dollars, our bags arrive 30 hours after we did.

jase
Rare Poster
Local Beach: None, I travel constantly alsthough I have been posted to Tahiti for a new work contract......
Favorite Beaches: St Barths- Lagoon Bay!!! out of this world
Style: Free ride
Gear: Cabrinha SB2,12m and CB2 16
North Dragon 134

Postby jase » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:48 pm

Hi guys,
well up until today my NSI golf bag has been awesome!!!!!! " oh my golf clubs to check in also please" it did work until they weighed my gear. ( they didnt check the contents just slugged me for excess baggage!!
Airline- EMIRATES ( that also a shock cause they are usually great)
They allowed me to take 10kg ( worth of golf clubs) the fact that my gear weighed 25kg didnt help.
I ended up having to pay 49euro per kilo on excess baggage. you do the math!!
My final destination is Tahii and I am now at a friends house where I am going to leave one kite and my wetsuit -

I have just posted about what kite to take- to Tahiti.
I will be living there for about a year. ( poor me)

I have a CB12 and a SB16m I am inclind to take the 12m-
any advice??

PS: As long as the checkin people dont actually weigh you bag, we'll all be great for more free kite travel!!

austroKiter
Medium Poster

Postby austroKiter » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:36 pm

Does anybody have experience with China Airline (from Europe to Brisbane via Taipei)?

They only allow 20kg plus 7kg carry on luggage. The excess rate is EUR 40,- (!!!) per kilogram.
Even if I only take the most important kite gear with me (2 kites, 1 board, harness, shorty, 1 bar) I already have 18kg.
Since I also need to carry other stuff (clothes, laptop) I'm basically screwed if they really are strict with the weight limit.

Thomas

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:37 am

new site with lots of luggage info:

wiki/index.php?title=Airline_Baggage_Policies

If you cannot view it, you need to log out from www.kiteforum.com

We are working to solve the logout problem...

islandstylen
Very Frequent Poster

Postby islandstylen » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:20 am

I flew COPA airlines a few weeks ago with and LiquidForce Golf bag FULL of kites and boards and stuff.
MIAMI to VENEZUELA. Had no troubles with the contents except had to pay 50US for overweight (ihad a bunch of boat parts too) www.copaair.com
great airline for flying US to south/central america , I will be flying them everytime now.
Free Liquor and mixed drinks was nice too!
flights and bags arrived ontime too .... including stop through panama city and plane change.

jasonsmith
Rare Poster
Local Beach: sINGApURA :-0
Favorite Beaches: BONDI, singapura, KL, Mauritius
Style: jump jacket
Gear: none

Postby jasonsmith » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:38 am

Is Continental Airlines really the best airline to travel on? I always see the Continental Airline commercials on TV, and they are always bragging about their airline. I never hear any of the other airlines gragging. Does Continental Airlines does anything different then the other airlines,and why do they always bragg an the other airlines don't? Just curious.

BrockLanders
Rare Poster
Local Beach: San Diego

Postby BrockLanders » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:53 pm

jasonsmith wrote:Is Continental Airlines really the best airline to travel on?
I too, was hoping someone might have "recent" experience with Continental and kite baggage.

I assume the "golf" bag is the way to go but was hoping to hear from someone with a personal experience.

thanks!

Return to “Travel”