All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Grenada
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:33 pm 
Rare Poster

Hi

I'm thinking of going on holiday to Grenada in may/june. I can't find out much information about the place on the web, so could anyone tell me what the wind is like at that time of year and whether there are many good places to ride?

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Grenada
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:10 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Information is really rare...I'm also interested to know more!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:45 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

there is often still a bit of wind around in may and june.
Coral Cove on the eastern side of lance aux pines peninsula on the south coast has an ok spot, you need to know what you are doing and respect the people at resort, starting with getting permission. this spot is straight onshore, but is quite nice as protected a bit by the reefs
I will be in the bay on my boat about this time, islandstylen@gmail.com if you want some more info.
there are some pretty remote spots up in the north or the island but not recommended you do it by yourself.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:58 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

We went down there (Grenada and the Grenadines for a turn on the Windjammer) in late May early June last year. Unfortunately, that is the time of year when winds become less certain. The trades are more reliable earlier in the year. Once tropical systems start to come through, like anywhere else in the Caribbean they can kill, shift wind to less useable directions or deliver squally conditions.

We stayed at La Sagesse on the SE windward coast (trades trend to come from the east). You could walk south down the bay and launch, ride out and around the reefs.

There is a huge sand beach along the SE coast around Gt. Bacolet fully exposed to the trades. Problem is, there is a massive, shallow (inches deep) rock reef just off the beach. The wind was light when I was there not sure how easy or safe it would be to get past that reef to get out to ride in normal trade winds.

We looped the island by car (renting is apparently not a great idea due to road hazards) and went through a bunch of the Grenadines. Have some ideas for possible launches throughout.

Attachments:
SE Coast.jpg
SE Coast.jpg [ 92.87 KIB | Viewed 231 times ]
La Sagesse Bay.jpg
La Sagesse Bay.jpg [ 83.56 KIB | Viewed 231 times ]
 [ 4 posts ]