All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Costa Rica Trip Review; Feb 2008
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:15 am 
Rare Poster

..wound up visiting Bahia Salinas, Costa Rica early February 2008 for a kitesurfing trip ..and wanted to write-up/share a brief review and pics about my experience..

I recall coming across a diverse swing in opinions on CR and really wasn’t too sure exactly what to expect –decided to give it a go and here’s my personal experience with Costa Rica..

Long story short, had an absolute blast Kitesurfing in Bahia Salinas, CR with Nicola and everyone at the Blue Dream Hotel..
http://www.bluedreamhotel.com/

This was the first Kitesurfing trip I’ve taken with kitable wind every day (the 6 days I was there).. seemed to average round 30mph.. can be a bit strong/gusty at times, but not really an issue --and can even offer some extra fun (some of the jumps witnessed were just unreal)..

I’m about 190lbs and was fine on a 9M Waroo and 138 Underground FLX on the stronger days.. could of used a 7M at times, but totally fine on the 9M.. during my stay, often the wind would stay within bout a 10mph or so range and was relatively predictable as far as rigging the right size.. a lul or “strong” gust would come through from time to time but never seemed to last long as far as going beyond the respective area/range.. if it did, there seemed to be ample signs to come in and rig smaller, take a break, etc.. was on an 11M for a couple days, and on the 9M the rest of trip (6 days)..

Even managed to get in some SCUBA diving and take a bit of a “break” from the daily kitesurfing grind.. :) Costa Rica and the Guanacaste area (Bahia Salinas located within) offer some spectacular areas of untouched nature and abundant wildlife.. seemed to be lots of “other” things to see/do (active volcanoes, diverse wildlife, canopy tours, hiking, off road excursions, heading to “town,” etc..) but didn’t get a chance except for a couple dives –i.e. too busy kiteboarding.. although all of us from the hotel did manage to get to a local rodeo one night that was a great time..

Nicola at the Blue Dream Hotel offers a really unique kitesurfing experience –the food was fantastic, and vibe/atmosphere truly unique –every day started in the AM with breakfast at the restaurant and ordering lunch for the day ..then gathering/loading gear for the day on the “kitesurfing truck,” once everyone’s ready we set out for a short drive to “the spot” at Bahia Salinas.. once there, take your time in setting up for an entire day of kiting up till sunset.. load up the truck and head back ..settle in and meet everyone for dinner at the restaurant, and end the eve with beers (or soda, coffee, deserts, etc..) and great stories/conversation..

The spot consisted of a bay with primarily side-side/on winds.. if any issues arose, the wind would just take you to the other end of the bay for a bit of a walk back.. and there always seemed to be someone around willing to offer a hand, etc.. there was an island in the middle of the bay to kite out to (poss a mile out or so) and could do a pseudo down winder back from.. the island offered a small lagoon/slick and there were various slicks to kite out to for some smooth water.. chop varied with the wind.. and some spots offered nice rolling swell with decent space in between.. the beach was nice/open, but a bit “rocky” (small rocks) making booties a good idea.. also seemed to be some sting rays in the area early Feb, so dragging the feet when/if walking in the water was a good idea as well..

The vibe is so laid-back and relaxing at the Blue Dream Hotel --feels like staying with friends (+ great food and accom..) the rooms were nice/clean and everything you would need is at the hotel –can just charge everything to your room and settle up at the end of the trip –prices are super low and value is top notch..

I’d definitely head back, and might even make it an annual thing ..as the price is right, accommodations/food/people great, wind is just bout guaranteed, plus a 5.5 hour direct flight (from EWR, NJ).. all in all an awesome trip –just went by too quick..

Pics from the trip:
http://jnonny.smugmug.com/gallery/43815 ... #257270228

-John
===========
KiteBuddy - Kitesurfing Self Launching & Landing Aid
http://www.thekitebuddy.com

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Costa Rica Trip Review; Feb 2008
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:42 pm 
Frequent Poster

Thanks for the post John. What is the season for Costa Rica?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:29 am 
Rare Poster

Random wrote:
Thanks for the post John. What is the season for Costa Rica?

From what I understand the season is pretty much year round except for a bit more rain in Sept/Oct.. with the dry season from Dec-April being most favorable..

From the bluedream hotel website:
"It’s very windy and dry from December to April. During November, and between May and August, it could rain some hours in the afternoon but still great wind. Only September and October are less indicated to come to kite surf (more rain and less percent of kiteable days) that’s why these are the only months that we are closed. ... You need to wear a shorty only a few days per month, when cold fronts arrive from the north between the end of December and March but usually you don’t. Water temperature is constantly around 24°/30° Celsius (75°/85° Fahrenheit)... "
http://www.bluedreamhotel.com/faq.htm

wind data:
http://www.bluedreamhotel.com/wind.htm

--John
=========
KiteBuddy - Self Launching & Landing Aid
http://www.thekitebuddy.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:41 am 
Medium Poster

just returned from 2+ weeks with Nicola there at Blue Dream. great trip, mostly on 6 and 8 meter.
wind everyday, only 1 day we didn't go out only because it was nukin 50+ kts. everyone there was really cool and laid back, great atmosphere clean rooms and good food, didn't need to rent a car either, just take a cab from Liberia airport or arrange a pickup from Nicola. only downside was no real swell to kite in. also bring a shorty or thin top as the water was a bit cool when I was there and Lots of sunscreen! got to see a turtle laying eggs on the beach one day, lots of exotic wildlife here.
Matt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:14 am 
Medium Poster

Watch out for the sea snakes :P

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:07 pm 
Medium Poster

and the scorpions and the spiders and the malaria carrying mosquitos and thestingrays and the crocodiles and all the other deadly stuff. actually don't go there, more wind for me!
:D Matt

[ 6 posts ]