Cabarete - Kite Beach Hotel & Kitexcite

Forum for travel reports and travel questions

Bloussant
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Brand Affiliation: None

Cabarete - Kite Beach Hotel & Kitexcite

Postby Bloussant » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:07 am

I recently met up with a couple of friends for a first time trip to Cabarete, DR (March 1 - 6). This was also my first time kiting so I went there with low expectations. Figured if I had a good time kiting or hanging out, the trip would be a success. Well, now that I’m home, I’m already looking for my first kite, and we’re planning on making this an annual trip. A total success on both ends!

We stayed at Kite Beach Hotel, and I highly recommend it. It was nothing fancy, but it’s convenient, nice, clean and priced right. Free breakfast was included at the restaurant/bar which is located next to the pool. This was a great area to hang out and chat about yesterday’s events while waiting for the wind to pick up. During our stay, the wind consistently kicked in at around 12 – 1 and continued till sunset. Plenty of time for a lunchtime break and a beer or two after a long day of kiting. After cleaning up, we’d head downtown for a huge variety of great food and entertainment right on the beach…….either a 20-30 minute walk on the sand or a quick scooter ride. Also tried a couple really good off the beaten path restaurants so it’s worth asking around.

I took my lessons from Kitexcite which is located on the beach in front of the Kite Beach Hotel. I highly recommend them. My instructor was very thorough, attentive, knowledgeable and patient, and I hear that Kitexcite works hard at keeping it that way. When I made it to the water, my instructor used a radio to communicate with me. I seemed to pick it up rather quickly without any problems, and I credit most of my success to my instructor and the program. I honestly can’t think of a safer, faster and easier way to learn.

Before this trip, I laughed at my friends’ obsession with the wind. After this trip, I find myself looking around at trees and flags wondering if the wind is picking up, and now I understand why they return to Cabarete

Return to “Travel”