Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Vacation advice - Maui or somewhere else?

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
mgutman
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Vacation advice - Maui or somewhere else?

Postby mgutman » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:43 pm

I've been scouring the archives and finding some good info. If there's some archived posts that answer my question below please point me in the right direction and I would appreciate it. I've also checked out the "wind by month" posts but they don't rank whether it's a hard-core wind destination, good for couples or non-kiters, etc.

I'm looking for a vacation destination for next spring '09. It's just going to be me and my wife and she isn't a kiter right now. This may change but let's run with the assumption it's not. So, that being said she's incredibly agreeable and not high maintenance but she needs more than just a beach in the middle of no where to entertain her. For example we went to Belize and she loved the 4 blocks of dirt town that is San Pedro. So nothing huge or fancy but enough to walk around and get some culture and not be scared for your life while her husband is out chasing wind or fish.

On the other hand, I'm looking for wind :bye: Relatively consistent wind and varied conditions are preferred, i.e. waves, flat water, etc. Shocker, I'm sure. If I could only pick one it would be warm, tropical flat water. We've traveled quite a bit to the Caribbean and I'm not opposed to going back there. It's easy travel and great people. I've been to Belize, the DR, Turks and Caicos, BVI...it's not that I don't want to go back but I also enjoy checking out new experiences.

We also like to dive, hike, explore, stay relatively active and I'll flats fish if it's around (like in Belize. Those permit will drive you crazy!). I don't need crazy restaurants as I usually prefer a meal of grilled fish, rice, plantains and the local beer. However, if there's fine dining I won't turn my nose up at it either. We like laying in hammocks, nosing around on our own, imbibing in the local drink, and relaxing.

Right now in my mind I'm targeting April or May and looking into Maui. Lots of friends have recommend it, but when I start researching on the web it feels overwhelming. Much more than the normal 5 options in the Caribbean type research. One other consideration (and why I'm getting on this so early) is I am trying to fly on miles. I have a ton but as you know it can get difficult with blackout dates, et al. I can book to Maui now or possibly somewhere else based on recommendations here. I may even have to travel to our second choice if #1 isn't available on a mileage ticket.

Lastly, total travel time is about 10 days maybe a couple of more. Flying from Denver and would like something out of the country with the exception of Hawaii since we've never been there before.

Any recommendations, suggestions, past experiences would be appreciated and most helpful. Many thanks in advance. Sorry for the novella just thought I'd give as much info as possible to help with your recommendations.

mg

mulletrider
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Puget Sound
Favorite Beaches: Coche, San Felipe, B.S.M, Hood Canal
Style: wakezilla
Gear: waroos, litewave
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Vacation advice - Maui or somewhere else?

Postby mulletrider » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:11 pm

wow, that was intense... i feel like i know you better than my girlfriend. haha

maui is definitely not a beach in the middle of nowhere. tons to do for everyone... bars/restaurants, hiking, exploring, surfing, biking, golfing (not recommended).

Venezuela is killer too.
El yaque is a cool little town with kiting.
Coche (short boat ride from yaque) butter flat water. there's a few hotels, and a small town with some restaurants.
Los Roques (short flt from caracas or isla margarita). remote, beautiful, practically nothing to do.
Hit all three places for a big variety.

good luck

Return to “Travel”