kassak
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Advice: Kiting Mexico, El Sal, Guat, Hond, Costa and Panama

Postby kassak » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:42 am

Hello,

I posted this previously in the main forum and received not a single reply...

I am interested in any advice/ideas anyone has on kiting the pacific coast of Mexico, Honduras, Guatemala, Costa Rica and Panama.

I am going to be heading on an extended sailing trip with likely ample opportunity to stop for kitesurfing along the way. I am sailing a 90 year old wooden ship back to Norway with my friend's family and while the trip is not specifically for kiting two of the other crew members are big surfers so areas with kiting and surfing within a close distance would be ideal. The boat will be leaving from San Francisco sometime in January of 2009 and heading south to Panama and then through the canal. Then from the canal we will head through to Caribe up the E. Coast of the U.S. We will be on a sailing vessel so facilities and land access issues are not important. In fact the more isolated and remote the better. We are a relatively deep drafted vessel, drawing 10 feet of water but we have a zodiac skiff on board so getting to shallow water sites will be pretty easy. The trip will likely begin sometime in November or December. As well,

Also, right now I am riding in Rhode Island, USA and using a LF Sessions 12m. I was figuring I would get another kite, probably a 8m, which would seem more suited to steady trade winds both in central america and the Caribe. I am ~130 lbs. I had a my eye on a Cabrinha 2008 switchblade. But any other ideas would be welcome.

Any thoughts, ideas or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

TheKiteLife
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Playa Copal, Costa Rica. Mancora, Peru. Maui, Hawaii. The Gorge. Miami, Florida. Heineken Beach, St.Croix, Paros, Greece, Cape Town, South Africa
Brand Affiliation: Gabes Kite Life, Transcend Kiteboard Apparel, Blade Kites, Royal Kites, The Kite Life

Re: Advice: Kiting Mexico, El Sal, Guat, Hond, Costa and Panama

Postby TheKiteLife » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:48 am

Dont know too much about the area, but I think the wind is supposed to be good in Costa Rica and Panana from Jan-May.

Check out these 2 sites:
www.kitesurfingpanama.com
www.bluedreamhotel.com

If you wouldnt mind, ,maybe you can shoot me a PM sometime or post the info you find out about that region. I'd love to know

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:00 am

Based on personal experience I would highly suggest Bahia Salinas in the NW corner of Costa Rica...(the links provided are good ones - especially for Blue Dream/Nicola Bertoldi) definitely a good place to kite. Be careful if you are sailing the boat into the bay. It can be very VERY windy, and I am not sure about the anchorage, but I've seen sailboats in there every time I go.. You might be able to anchor in the lee (west side) of Isla Bolanos in the middle of the bay in an effort to find shelter from the wind. It is not uncommon to have sustained 30+ kts for days and weeks at a time. The wind is almost always Easterly during the winter months. Make sure you have good ground tackle. Also, beware of the "papagallos" (gusty winds) all along the West Coast of Costa Rica. Many boats get knocked down there.

Other places in Costa Rica are sketchy for kiting due to prevailing off shore winds. If you search this forum for Costa Rica you can find many reviews. A few people seem to have had a hard time with the gusty conditions and gave negative remarks...but if you are experienced and have good kites you will love it....I know I did, and the first time I kited there was 8 years ago with prehistoric kites...I went back 5 more times and will go again this winter, so that might say something for it.

You should find some good spots in Mexico, especially if you can spend time in Baja, both on the Pacific side and the Sea of Cortez.

Not sure about Guatemala, or Honduras for kiting.

Panama, some decent conditions at Punta Chame, otherwise mostly offshore wind.

Good surfing in many places in all of these countries.

Have a great voyage....sounds pretty cool. Post some photos of the vessel if you have a chance.

PS...You will need ssmall kites in COsta Rica during the winter...for your weight: you might need a 5m kite many days. I weigh 155# and would take 5, 7, 9, 12 kites to cover it all.

playacopal
Medium Poster

Postby playacopal » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:14 pm

bahai salinas, costa rica is a good spot to go, once you are heading north in the pacific,
also, just north, san juan del sur in Nicaragua, you can kite the freshwater lake there.

kassak
Medium Poster

Postby kassak » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:37 am

Thanks for the advice...

Here is a picture of the boat, R/S Frithjof Wiese. She is an 80+ year old gaff rigged Norwegian Ketch. She's a Colin Archer design, part of the original Norwegian Rescue service.
Frijof Wiese.jpg
Frijof Wiese.jpg (103.54 KiB) Viewed 1844 times
Frijof Wiese Stern.jpg

playacopal
Medium Poster

Postby playacopal » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:14 pm

wow, that is a beauty!!! we will look for you in Playa Copal(bahia Salinas) Costa Rica.
Also, I have a couple of friends who live in El Salvador, and come to kite Costa Rica, I'll ask them for info as well.
see ya!
bob selfridge
cometa copal kitesurfing school
Playa Copal, Costa Rica

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:36 pm

yah, cool ship! Heavy duty...they don't build them like that anymore!! Canoe stern looks good for following seas.

will you go thru the Panama Canal or Cape Horn?

keep the forum posted on your progress and experiences.

TheKiteLife
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Playa Copal, Costa Rica. Mancora, Peru. Maui, Hawaii. The Gorge. Miami, Florida. Heineken Beach, St.Croix, Paros, Greece, Cape Town, South Africa
Brand Affiliation: Gabes Kite Life, Transcend Kiteboard Apparel, Blade Kites, Royal Kites, The Kite Life

Postby TheKiteLife » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:45 pm

where is the trailer pulling all the kite gear?! ;)

WINDAY
Medium Poster
Local Beach: COCO BEACH , PLAYA DEL CARMEN MEXICO
XCALACOCO, PLAYA DEL CARMEN MEXICO
PLAYA DEL SECRETO, PLAYA DEL CARMEN MEXICO
ISLA BLANCA, MEXICO
TULUM, MEXICO
CABARETE , KITE BEACH, DOMINICAN REPUBLIC.
Favorite Beaches: PLAYA DEL COCO, MEXICO
CABARETE, DR
Style: OLD SCHOOL, BIG AIR, FREESTYLE
Gear: EH ERIC HERTSENS FULLY LOADED
Brand Affiliation: AKQR, AKCM, EH, FLYSURF77.COM FREESTYLEPLAYA.COM

Postby WINDAY » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:57 am

perroloco
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acapulco, San Diego
Favorite Beaches: Acapulco, San Diego
Style: freeride
Gear: Slingshot Turbo 2 17m-14m-11m-9m-7m, Nobile 666 143 Ext, Nobile 666 135, UG 132, UG 128, Mako wide 150, LF Rawson 5'10''

Postby perroloco » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:43 am

Wow ,wow, wow! That trip is a dream come true! Theese are a few spots on the way:

San Quintin (Baja, Mexico)
La ventana (Baja south, Mexico)
Los Barriles (Baja south, Mexico)
Playa Del Carmen (Caribean, Mexico)
Cozumel ( Caribean, Mexico)
Cape Hateras (East Coast U.S.A.)

Good luck bro!

Return to “Travel”