All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Costa Rica, Puerto Rico, or Cabarete in January?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:36 am 
Medium Poster

Thinking about going to one of these places for a week in January.

Considering:

Playa Copal, Costa Rica

Shack's Beach, Puerto Rico

Cabarete, Dominican Republic

Any suggestions on which would be best?

I'm guessing Shacks and Cabarete would be pretty similar being that they are really close to each other.

Last edited by mdksniper on Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Costa Rica, Puerto Rico, or Cabarete in January?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:50 am 
Frequent Poster

Cab has a strong localized thermal effect so dont be so certain on that. Not sure how active it is in the winter.

If you going to CR, consider the Bahia de Salinas. Research "Blue Dream Hotel kitesurfing".

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:28 am 
Medium Poster

If riding TT then CR www.bluedreamhotel.com
If you want waves then I would choose PR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:57 pm 
Rare Poster

Haven't been to Shack's, but can vouch for Bahia Salinas and Cabarete both. Bahia Salinas in CR is flat water, no crowds, off the beaten path, and was a fantastic trip. Cabarete is absolutely fantastic as well, just a different scene. Full beach of places to stay and great restaurants, an awesome social scene no matter what you're looking for... That also brings more crowds. Sometimes can be pretty overwhelming in the water, especially close to the beach with the beginners, but the wind is pretty consistent, and there's good chop, lots of fun.

At Bahia Salinas in Costa Rica, call or email Kent & Lucy at http://kiteboardingcostarica.com for lodging and whatever else you need, best people on the beach.

Cabarete is full of great people and nice spots to stay... Depends on what you want and your budget. Can't recommend any specific lodging without knowing more, but would be happy to give recommendations, but check out http://www.funtrips-dr.com/ and talk to Teddy for some trips off the beach. Wife and I will be there February and March at her parents place, let me know if you're going down... We'll be playing music in the bars down the beach a couple nights a week :)

Paz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:44 am 
Rare Poster

I live in Cabarete. Technically we have wind 300 days per year, but since our best wind is thermal based, the winter wind is less predictable. So, for a week stay you could have no wind or you could have wind every single day. In general, the most days in a row we don't have wind is 2-3, but that is pretty rare. Here is an article I wrote for a local hotel with some wind charts: http://cabaretecondos.com/cabarete-wind/

Another thing to consider is Dec-Jan is "tourist season" (which is different than kite season in Jun-Aug) so it is the most expensive time of year to be here. The good thing is the town will be poppin' with plenty of people and good times. That being said, if you are a seasoned kiter you might be annoyed by all of the newbs learning to kite.

I feel like I made it sound bad, but just want to give you the things to look out for. If you come to Cab you will have an amazing time no matter what. If there is no wind, it is surf season in Jan and we have an awesome surf beach (Encuentro) and the reef on Kite Beach and in Cabarete Bay provide awesome conditions for paddle surfing. So, no matter what, you won't be bored. Not to mention, you are bound to make friendships here that last a lifetime. I am in Europe as we speak traveling around meeting up with all the friends in Cab I have met over the years.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:28 pm 
Rare Poster

Tracy speaks the truth... I probably made it sound too good :) But I've never heard anyone say they regretted the trip! Truth is, I just love meeting up with people there haha. That said, hope to see you both down there, have fun planning your trip!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:00 pm 
Frequent Poster

Like you said, Shacks is the spot for the waves...

and if you need flat water, Parguera...

and like I always say, one day of Parguera is like 5 days at any other spot.

January... Should be windy 45% of the time.

Let me know if you need any information regarding Puerto Rico,

Jafet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:13 pm 
Medium Poster

Im kind of biased here but Puerto Rico is the bomb. So many places to go for so many different riding styles. You want to be with other kiters? Go to Isla Verde next to the airport... waves? Shacks. Flat water solitude Heaven? La Parguera/Guyama. Want to get lost and camp out on a beach? Go to Vieques - Bahia La Chiva (The Blue Beach). Flat water solitude near San Juan? - Rio Grande. I have a place there on The East Coast of the island and Mid Dec through April is very consistent trade winds from ENE, NE. All Side On. I cant remember the last time in that period I was truly skunked. (bring a 12 or 14m just in case you get a 12-15 knot day) But its mostly 15 to 20 kts from Dec through April and mostly dry (occasional T Storm, but that's the dry season)

May - August can have some skungage days, still more windy days than non windy. Sept - Nov is rainy and not very good (unless you live there).

In the rare chance you do get skunked? Drive out to Rincon and just surf. Its awesome there with great night life

All spots are drivable within a couple hours if you rent a car. Doable in a day trip for sure. Unless you go to Vieques - I would suggest staying over night.

Need to borrow/rent some gear for certain style? Talk to Juan Carlos at 15knots kite school in Isla Verde. He is the man and will hook you up.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:29 am 
Rare Poster

KiteDR wrote:
Tracy speaks the truth... I probably made it sound too good :) But I've never heard anyone say they regretted the trip! Truth is, I just love meeting up with people there haha. That said, hope to see you both down there, have fun planning your trip!

Cabarete is amazing and I think you did it justice!!! I just think that if you are coming here to kite and kite only, you need to be here for more than a week (at least 2) to be 100% positive to have all the wind you will want to warrant the trip during that time of year.

Just to re-iterate for the original poster, we have had over 300 days of wind per year for the last 8 years!!!! Last December and January was pumping most of the time. But hey, it's mother nature and no matter where you choose you could win or lose depending on her mood...just like all of us women.

Anyhow, if you want to come in Jan start looking for a place to stay now because it gets booked up for January soon.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:17 pm 
Medium Poster

Booked third week of January in Bahia Salinas at my buddy Bobs place. Can't wait.

[ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next