Forum for travel reports and travel questions
garrett
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

First time to Cabarete.

Postby garrett » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:32 pm

Just wondering what kite to bring for a 100kg'er (220). Average wind speeds? We have a month or 6 weeks, where should we stay with two little girls under 2 years. Thanks

jcbua
Medium Poster

Re: First time to Cabarete.

Postby jcbua » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:23 am

Garrett, PM me and I'll give you some info. If you're coming anytime soon, bring the wind with you.

andydimitri
Rare Poster

Postby andydimitri » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:47 pm

hey garrett

my wife and i were in cabarete july/august i weigh 220 lbs and was flying my 14m Eclipse thruster 80%of the time and a 12 meter thruster the other 20%. The wind was about 18-20 knts (guessing), the weird thing is that the wind there feels alot stronger than it really is. I.e. it feels like its really strong but when you actually go out there's less power than expected! -- might be related to the density of the air. I rented a board (Caution Hustla 145/best surfboard) from extreme/kite lounge cuz it was the same price as shipping my board.

we stayed at extreme hotel (managed by Robbie a fellow canuck! :thumb: ), probably not the best place for 2 girls under 2 yrs old (but great if you don't have kids/high maintenance girlfriend/wife). To the right of extreme (looking at the beach) there are a bunch of hotels that seemed "higher end" than extreme i.e. kite club/agualina/ these guys were about a 5 min. walk http://www.cabaretevillas.com/ and the places seemed really nice.

It's nice to be at kite beach cuz thats where all the best kiteboarding is ... but it may be boring and a pain getting into town via motoconcho (a bit dangerous with toddlers) or taxi (expensive) for non-kiteboarders.

have fun ... the wind gets a bit weaker in the winter months but apparently the waves at the reef get alot bigger!

andrew

aman
Medium Poster

Postby aman » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:58 pm

Aloha

I was there last feb and used my 9 as much as my 13 (furia)

This year i will take a 7-11 and a waveboard.

The best acco i think is the palm beach condo's. You are in a quite place in the middle of the village. On the beach 50 m from the place where you may kite. So the kids are safe on the beach and they have a pool as well. i have one of 2 and one of 5 yo

Close to all the restaurants and shops and fast on the water. It is really great!

so have fun

FloHooked
Rare Poster

Postby FloHooked » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:43 am

Hi Garrett,

what time of the year are you coming?? During winter time the wind can be from 12 - 18 knots sometimes stronger. In summer (June-Sept) its usually stronger up to 20 knots and more. The best wind is at Kitebeach which is between Cabarete and Encuentro (the main wavesurfspot). A bit out on the reef the wind is always stronger and there are some nice waves as well. I am always on a 8m (bow) with my 73 kilos.

Concerning the accommodation I can recommend you Hooked Cabarete. Its a small scaled Hotel with some apartments in a beautiful surrunding with a nice atmosphere. If you like to have a quite place away from the All incl Hotels its perfect.

- wish you a windy time!

Mystic1
Rare Poster

Postby Mystic1 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:42 am

Garrett,

Somthing around a 12M will be your go to kite in cabarete. 15M if its light and maybe a surfboard.

As far as accomodations there are beachfront luxury condos to inexpensive apartments in town.
Last August we rented a fabulous condo right on the beach. A close walk to town and restaurants wih a private pool. My wife and daughter dont kite but they could hang out by the pool and watch us ride all day. Rode my 11M everyday. http://www.cabaretebeachfrontrentals.com.

Return to “Travel”