Favorite Beaches: Thailand
Style: beginner
Gear: don't have any
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

spot for kitesurf in Asia in March

Postby maneshba » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:20 pm

Hi I'm a beginner kitesurfer and live in Signapore and would like to plan a 1 week holiday for March to a spot where i can improve my skills. I've read that Mui Ne' should be windy but not for conditions are not for novices... any reccomendation on where to go ? Perth would be an option as well but I don't knoe the sea condition (current, waves, etc) anyone can help?
thanks a lot!
Barbara

Saami
Frequent Poster

Re: spot for kitesurf in Asia in March

Postby Saami » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:54 pm

Hi Barbara, nice to see a fellow Singaporean on the board :-)

You are in luck: March is an excellent time for a one-week kitesurfing holiday in Asia.

My recommendation would be Hua Hin in Thailand, or Boracay in the Phillippines. Both are good places for a beginner, and are almost guaranteed to have wind in March.

Hua Hin is the site of the Thai royal beach residence, and very convenient to reach from Singapore. Just catch a cheap flight up to Bangkok (Tiger, Jetstar, Air Asia) and then negotiate with a taxi driver for the three-hour drive to Hua Hin (about 1600 to 2400 baht). There are several places to stay right at the kitebeach (which is south of the town center), ranging from very acceptable budget accomodation (600-700 baht/night) to luxury hotels. The beach is very wide in March, and stretches for many kilometers (so you will always drift onto the beach if something goes wrong and you can't relaunch your kite). The wind is quite reliable in March, with an afternoon seabreeze that kicks in on most afternoons (unless it is cloudy inland) and which makes for very nice kitesurfing conditions. The water can be a bit choppy at times (but nowhere as bad as in Mui Ne, which as you have heard can be quite challenging!). There are several kitesurfing schools where you can rent equipment or get someone to help you work on your skills.

Boracay, meanwhile, is in the Philippines, an hour's flight from Manila. To get there, catch a flight to Ninoy Aquino International Airport in Manila (Jetstar, Cebu Pacific, Philippine Airlines) and then get on a connecting flight to Caticlan or Kalibo (SEAir and many other airlines). Allow 3 hours between the flights because you will have to pass immigration, wait for your luggage (which can take time), and take a taxi to the domestic terminal. Do not fly with Tiger Airways from Singapore, because they will take you to Clark airport, three hours north of Manila and with a more limited choice of connecting flights.

Boracay in March is excellent for beginners because the wind will be blowing side-onshore across a long bay which is shielded from waves by an outside reef. This is Bulabog beach. Inside the reef, you will have only small chop, and the water is shallow throughout the bay so you will not risk losing your board. The wind is very reliable. On the negative side, the beach is quite narrow and has trees, but just enlist the services of the one of the many kiteschools and their beachboys will help you launch and land. Overall, the conditions at Boracay are almost ideal for a beginner.

Personally, I am planning one week in Boracay in February, one week in Hua Hin in March, and another week in Hua Hin in April. As you can tell, I really like both places :D And March / April is the right time to go.

I would be happy to help you out with contacts etc. Just PM me!

Saami

valsema
Rare Poster

Postby valsema » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:34 pm

I am going to Perth...from 12 to 29 March

seand
Rare Poster

Postby seand » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:19 am

Hi, I can't get away till late April/early May where can I go for consistent wing ? I was thinking about Mui Ne but not sure if the winds still realiable. Thanks

chasinthewind
Medium Poster

Postby chasinthewind » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:44 pm

best spot is Hua Hin/Pranburi area right now, Mui Ne is dying out.

for sure i would give Pranburi a go, no crowds like hua hin and its only 20 mins south of the city.

Palm trees, no high rise buildings, wind is slightly better and 7km of beach with no nasties in the water.

there is a live wind report there www.kitesurfthailand.com/pranburi

also check out the main website for more info and pics, they have a daily blog that gets updated so you can check it out closer to your arrival

www.kitesurfingpranburi.com

Pin Head
Medium Poster

Postby Pin Head » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:52 pm

Is hua hin or Pranburi best for the beginner in April?

me intending to be there as well!

lucie
Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: Airush Diamond kites and Airush Diamond board.

Postby lucie » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:56 pm

Pranburi every time. A nicer spot to kite and better wind than Hua Hin. A very chilled out vibe. Just got back from there myself.

Pin Head
Medium Poster

Postby Pin Head » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:12 am

ARe they both deep or are they shallow? Much wave activity?

lucie
Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: Airush Diamond kites and Airush Diamond board.

Postby lucie » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:21 am

Not shallow, to be honest. It was choppy most of the time, had waves a few days when the winds got over 20kts. There is a sandbar which runs from pranburi all the way up past Hua Hin which gives a small flatter area on the inside at high tide, and little waves to play in at low tide.
Attachments
P3130031.JPG

chasinthewind
Medium Poster

Postby chasinthewind » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:21 am

Pranburi has a sand bar about 20 meters out, it leaves a flat water chest deep lagoon on high/mid tide , beyond the sand bar it is deep water with small waves/chop.

We get the odd day with around 2m waves coming in, good fun for hitting the lip but maximum one turn on the wave and your done

Return to “Travel”