All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Puerto Rico versus Florida for Christmas
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:03 pm 
Medium Poster

I am desperately trying to find somewhere with wind and waves for Christmas. How reliably windy is Shacks, Puerto Rico in late December. I just got back from Lobitos and am going crazy with 6 weeks of no wind here on the east coast.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Puerto Rico versus Florida for Christmas
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:13 pm 
Rare Poster

hello
I definately recomend you Puerto Rico not because i am from here but you are going to get the conditions you are looking for. Also shacks is overrated come to san juan there are some nice spots. Feel free to contact me anytime fzamora18@gmail.com or visit my website www.freddykitepr.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:17 pm 
Frequent Poster

I wouldn't say Shack is over rated... but you can definitely find great waves in the San Juan area, with the convenience of many restaurants, hotels and clubs steps away from the kiting spots. If staying for a week or more, I would suggest staying at San Juan. You can take an easy drive to Shacks at Isabela any day - its less than 2 hours.
The great thing about the kitesurfing spot ins San Juan, specifically Puntas Las Mariás and some others closer to Ocean Park, is that the waves are in outer reefs where you will rarely find paddle surfers...just kite surfers. SUP will be there when theres no wind.

About Isabela, theres a spot east of Shacks which I prefer. The spot is called Montones. Its a small bay, with villages right at the spot (Villa del Mar Hau)
Shacks is an awesome spot, visited frequently by the guys from REAL and many others. The thing I don't like about Shacks is that the shore is mostly rocky and you gotta watch out for sea urchins in those rocks. Also - don't plan on staying for a month at Shacks.

Theres no doubt that any of these spots @ Puerto Rico will be nicer in terms of wind and waves than Florida.

videos of Shacks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izeZ1KVn ... re=related

Puntas las Marias (San Juan)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:12 pm 
Medium Poster

Looks like I should have gone to Florida next week as the wind AND waves will be better and it wont be RAINING! Is there any way to ride S and SE winds there?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:25 am 
Medium Poster

Want to know a bit of Puerto Rico , fiding the best of the conditions around the island you must contact

787-593-KITE or opkiteundergroundpr@hotmail.com nobody knows better...support the locals !!

Forget Shacks , Puntas , Parguera ..... go uncrowded in blue crystal waters , in massive waves or dead flat water ... awesome night life and food ...hahahhaha !!!

Paradise :cool2:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:27 pm 
Frequent Poster

PUERTO RICOOOOO

This week's been blowing 15-23 knots every day in all good spots - San Juan, Shacks, Montones, Parguera, Guayama!!

[ 6 posts ]