Carnarvon - WA
Style: Freestyle, Wave
Gear: Best, Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 400km downwind trip Philippines - End of February

Postby marinehazard » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:47 am

There are large ones, definitely! The one we always chartered was about 30 foot and actually quite spacey... The initial plan though was to camp onshore. There are several reasons for that, first one being that the sea is very rough during that time, as you know. Last year they had to fly support goods in to some of the islands with helicopters cause the boats couldn't go out anymore... Even if we managed to camp offshore it may not be very pleasant... (here a wind and wave forecast...: http://www.windguru.cz/de/index.php?vs=1&sc=164941 ) Second one is handling the kites. Im familiar with how to launch / land kites from a boat, but everything is so much easier if you can at least prepare everything onshore. The boat would imho only make sense with more than 10 riders as a support vessel, otherwise the jetski we have will be enough. Third is that things are going to be adventurous enough (getting the jetski in and out every day, finding meeting points between land crew and riders, etc pp....) and we want to spend most of our time riding, not looking for each other or saining, no? Anyhow, im very open for other opinions.

Katoe
Rare Poster

Postby Katoe » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:24 am

Hey there, this trip sounds like just the thing I am looking for..Im an instructor living in Mui Ne for three years now but have experience in sailing and small boat handling as well as being a qualified medic....I am also involved in Kite Films and have some great waterproof, mountable cameras as well as diving housings and stills cameras...The season here in Vietnam is coming to an end around then as I went to Borocay this Feb for a little chillout....

Please let me know any more details as this trip sounds like a lot of fun...

Hope to hear from you soon,Grahame

marinehazard
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lago di Garda - Italy
Wiek, Rügen - Germany
Bagasbas Beach Daet - Philippines
Favorite Beaches: Laoag - Philippines
Carnarvon - WA

Postby marinehazard » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:57 am

Hey Grahame, good to hear you're in! And we have a professional photographer to document the trip!

5 People have committed so far, 5 are pending. I guess in total we shouldn't be much more than 10.

Saami
Frequent Poster

Postby Saami » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:07 am

If you still have space, please count me in! This sounds great!

Alex, will you be bringing that Mako Wide board of yours? I would love to try the Mako Wide if there is a chance... You and everyone else who has one of those boards keep saying such nice things about them so I figure that I have to try to ride one at some point!

Speaking of boards, what kind of boards will people be riding? I guess a surfboard or some other type of directional might be ideal for the downwind stretches... Are we talking about a lot of waves?

marinehazard
Rare Poster
Wiek, Rügen - Germany
Carnarvon - WA

Postby marinehazard » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:37 pm

Hi Saami, great you're in!

So far we are 2 people on directionals and 2 on twintips, i don't know what boards the others will ride. Since its not supposed to be a downwind-race you should be fine with whatever board you choose. It will be wavy though and there are definitely a couple of nice breaks out there.... I suggest you bring both, chuck the second one on the truck and choose from day to day since there will be flat water too!

fun2kite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Singapore
Favorite Beaches: Secret spots around Asia
Gear: Foil: Moses
Kite: Fone Breeze, Flysurfer Sonic FR

Postby fun2kite » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:40 am

Any update on this trip? Did it happen?
I was talking with Mike he told me before that it was delayed. Would like to hear an update on the progress and at least live it thru you guys :-)

-D.

marinehazard
Rare Poster
Wiek, Rügen - Germany
Carnarvon - WA

Postby marinehazard » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:37 am

the trip didnt happen like planned due to the wind conditions. We had some good days of kiting up north though, explored the Island (that we were gonna go to by kite) by boat. Will now make a short trip to the Visayas and be back next week up north for a mayor cold front thats supposed to come. Looking forward to some wave kiting. Will keep you updated.

Return to “Travel”