All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Late March through Mid June
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:26 pm 
Medium Poster

G'day all,

My company's recently sent an e-mail out asking anyone who can take some time off to take some time off. I'm looking for somewhere to hide out for awhile on about $5,000 USD between late March and Mid June. Can anyone give me some consistently windy destinations with a low cost of living for this time frame--besides Cabarete (already considered that). I've thought of the Greek Islands, Cape Verde, and Venezuela's islands (though I'm American so those could be a bit of pain in the ass for me). I suppose I should specify that I'm about 90kg, so a 10-15 knot average won't really do it for me.

Anybody with some detailed info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Cheers,
Van

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Late March through Mid June
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:12 am 
Frequent Poster

If its wind and awesome scenery and always something to and places to see than Maui is the perfect placefor you... If its 12-15 knots like you say you are looking for than maui is not the place for you.. may and june it blows like 25 mph six days aweek... my advice is bring a small kite and head to maui..

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:18 am 
Medium Poster

I s'pose I should have clarified that better. I meant 12-15 isn't nearly enough for me. I'm a heavier rider (200 lbs), need more wind than most people to get out on the water. Maui sounds like a great place except it's expensive as all hell. Sailed there a few years ago and absolutely loved it, but it was a far cry from a budget traveler's paradise.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:08 pm 
Medium Poster

if you're not into Cabarete try the rest of the Dominican Republic or
Vietnam
South Africa
Egypt
Tarifa, Spain
or you just bum it in Hatteras

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:45 pm 
Medium Poster

Don't get me wrong, I love Cabarete. Been twice already and am looking forward to when I can go again. I'm just trying to see if there's anywhere any cheaper for a prolonged stay (which places like North Carolina an Spain are not). I've thought about Egypt. Looks promising but there're so many places to kite there I don't know where to start. Looked into the Cook Islands as well, but they don't seem like they get good wind until at least May, which's halfway through the trip.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:58 pm 
Rare Poster

If u want to kite-surf- be healthy maui is the place... its windy 25 knt every day and got waves and flat water... kiter paradise!
if u need more info let me know.
aloha
juan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:50 am 
Frequent Poster

I would make the following travel plan:
last week of March: fly to Las Piedras (peninsula of Venezuela), and drive to Adicora up to 1st week of April. 2nd week of April you can try Coche or Bonaire, both have a high wind guarantee. Last week of April go to Spain, Tarifa (through Caracas could be cheap) up to last week of May. Last week of June you must try to go to Dakhla (Marokko). From there, way back to home. In this order you have the highest windguarantee.

In Adicora, Bonaire or Coche you will have quiet stable wind, not strong, no nightlife in these 3 spots so you will be able to save your money and enjoy your adrenaline. In Tarifa the wind is quiet different, often 4/5 days no wind and then it blows like hell far over 25 knots. Like its everything or nothing. Throughout may you will not be able to kite 8 out of 30 days. Enough nightlife here to make you broke, the Euro is high. The wind in Dakhla is stable, not as hard as Tarifa, complete different type of wind, flat water, no nightlife at all. Good luck, 3 continents in 1 holiday. The tickets to Europe and Africa will be most expensive but worth it. You can make this trip within the limit of USD 5000.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:18 pm 
Medium Poster

Hello Aruba has perfect winds ion that months you can kite nearly everyday, for budget accomodation contact www.xtremewinds.com

[ 8 posts ]