All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kite Boarding Recommendations in the Caribbean
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:28 pm 
Rare Poster

Hello Everyone!

I wanted to reach out to everyone hoping to receive some assistance.

My boyfriend & I are going on a cruise (Princess Cruise) on Jan 30th & our ship will be stopping at the following destinations:

1. GRAND CAYMAN, CAYMAN ISLANDS
2. ROATAN, HONDURAS
3. COZUMEL, MEXICO
4. PRINCESS CAYS, BAHAMAS

We were wondering if we could get some assistance as far as any recommendations of Kitboarding places to call in those areas and also if you can recommend the best flat, shallow water areas to kiteboard.

My boyfriend is accustom to kiteboarding in Crandon Beach in Key Biscayne Florida. The water there is flat and shallow plus there is a Kitboading company that has been given the authority to have exclusivity in that area to teach and have a presence there. Hence, we were hoping that we would be able to get recommendations from a credible source for those same scenarios.

I would greatly appreciate what ever assistance you can provide me.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you.

Astrid Marten
Miami, Florida
Astridfmarten@comcast.net

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Kite Boarding Recommendations in the Caribbean
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:58 am 
Medium Poster

Cayman Islands

There are two main spots on Grand Cayman, Barkers or East End

Access to Barkers is through a series of roads/tracks and East End is on the main easterly road. Barkers beech has some sharp coral to get past, (so booties required), but after that it is good riding.

In East End, you can launch off public beech & kite beech, if you are competant and able to stay upwind. They are protected by reef, so the water is flatter. Outside the reef you can get some nice waves to ride.

Alternatively, you can call the Kitehouse, who can give you a short water taxi out to the shallow sand bar within the reef, (waist deep water). They will tell you about the local conditions and set up all your gear for you too, so you can just ride.

If you are not able to prove you can ride upwind, then the Kitehouse can offer one-to-one 2 hour lessons with PASA instructors - well worth the investment. Again, all on shallow sandbars with perfect learning conditions. Alternatively, you can take an advanced lesson if you want to push your skills!

They are great guys and there are many friendly kiters in Grand Cayman.

Enjoy!

Richie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:10 am 
Medium Poster

8) .. Richie .. you must be one of the Kitehouse Boyz ... you make barkers sound so appealing .. :lol:

There is some rock/coral under the water at the main launch spot ... go up or down the beach 50ft and it is grass and mud/sand ... once on the water East End and Barkers offer very similar enviroment ... flat, chop and wave if you want it. :thumb:

If your coming in off a cruise ship ... East End is a 45min to an 1hr drive there ... barkers is 20 mins from downtown .. and there are dirt roads (not trails) through the national park ... it is the second largest beach on the island after 7 mile. There is also a kite school at Barkers.

That being said, Mike and the boyz at Kitehouse are top notch .. beginner or advanced they have alot of options for you.

photo of barkers attached. :-) As you will see ... you can launch from almost anywhere on this beach .. all the dark stuff is sea grass. The beach is also alot wider now as they recently cleared alot of the shrub

Either way ... you will enjoy it here .. I travel all over the Caribbean and we definatly have one of the nicest spots I have ever been

B

www.caribbeankiters.com

Attachments:
barkers.jpg
barkers.jpg [ 93.6 KIB | Viewed 801 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:49 am 
Rare Poster

in my opinion the best way to discover the many great spots in the caribbean, is a sailyacht. take your "hotel" in front of every spot and kite as much as possible. just an unforgettable experience...
www.letmekite.com cheers george

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:48 am 
Medium Poster

My mistake if that is the case!

My feet just got chewed up a bit when I launched off the beach - maybe there was a better spot to launch from. As I said, it was good riding, so definately no complaints there!

I learned to kite with the Kitehouse, but have found an overwhelming majority of cayman kiters to be "good eggs" !

Wherever you go, you can be sure to have good riding and friendly faces!

Richie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:18 pm 
Rare Poster

Thanks Guys!!

I reallyy appreciate the advice for the Grand Cayman and have already made reservations with the Kitehouse Feb 1st.

Do you also have any reommendations for a flat, shallow place to Kitesurf in:

1. Roaton, Honduras
2. Cozumel, Mexico

In Roatan, Honduras,we are docking at Coxen Whole Pier.

In Cozumel, Mexico, we are docking either at Punta la Gosta or Puerto Maya.

Thank you so very much for your assistance!!!!!

Astrid Marten
Miami, Florida
Astridfmarten@comcast.net

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:18 pm 
Frequent Poster

Wednesday looks good for a downwinder :thumb:

[ 7 posts ]