All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Looks like we're going to Hua Hin
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:12 am 
Medium Poster

check out the modified wind speed here, it is based on the live weather station in Pranburi, it is pretty good report of the area, BRING BIG KITES! there has never been a 30 knot day on thermal season.

http://www.windguru.com/int/index.php?sc=173190

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:38 am 
Very Frequent Poster

chasinthewind wrote:
check out the modified wind speed here, it is based on the live weather station in Pranburi, it is pretty good report of the area, BRING BIG KITES! there has never been a 30 knot day on thermal season.

http://www.windguru.com/int/index.php?sc=173190

The windguru windspeed isn't "modified" enough, apparently, for Pranburi. What we had lately in Hua Hin - and it cannot be less strong in Pranburi - was on average a good 5 knots above the moded figures (forecasts) of Pranburi's windguru figures.
What do you mean by big kites? For some 12 is a big kite, others say 20 is.
Whatever your definition, bring big kites by any means if you want to ride before and after the wind maxes out... and there can always be the odd light wind thermal-less FS day ;-).
I don't remember the past years needing more than 12 in March. And the last 10 or 15 days, that was the biggest size I used @ 80 kg, in spite of the fact 14m kites were seen (probably riders with their only kites).
On my way down to Phuket before yesterday, I passed through Pranburi. Most appeared to be on 12s, and I would have picked a 12 as well. During that time my son in Hua Hin was well powered on a 9. So there seem to be some difference between the 2 spots, in spite of the fact they are only 25 km apart. What were you on?
:cool2:
Alex
Do we know each other? PM me either way. :bye:

PS let's reword so as to reach a consensus : I am saying that we can conservatively expect 16-20 knots (10 - 12 sized kites) 2 or 3 of hours after 2 pm most days (ie 75%) with the odd 10 and 25 knot days. We are already quite close of that right now.
BTW I did measure the odder 30 knots towards the end of March 2 years ago, and that's what allows me to quote that figure on an earlier post. The problem was then that most didn't have kites small enough! Thailand is reputed to be a low wind destination, so people get caught by surprise when it does blow.
Thailand is on par with windy destination in March-April in Hua Hin and Nai Yang in August. Nai Yang with somewhat less consistency, but with the added bonus of surfable waves :surf:.

Last edited by alexrider on Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:56 am 
Medium Poster

I was chatting with the guy who runs the weather station there in Pranburi and he has graphs of last years wind daily that he let me look at, pretty nice info but never reached 30 knots

Better to predict the wind less than more for visitors at this time, don't want to give people big hopes on high winds then they rig wrong for the holiday, there will be wind but i would Expect an average of 15 - 18 knots realistic, if i had to choose one kite only it would be a 14 meter, wouldnt waste your baggage charges on a 9 meter, you wont need it!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:03 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Toby wrote:
talking about the 12 as my small, high wind kite...for sure 14-16-19 will be with me...

Fine then. I'll lend you my 8 or 10 for the odd days.

14-16-19 : quite of overlapping? You dig the sweet spot, don't you?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:19 am 
Very Frequent Poster

chasinthewind wrote:
I was chatting with the guy who runs the weather station there in Pranburi and he has graphs of last years wind daily that he let me look at, pretty nice info but never reached 30 knots

...but i would Expect an average of 15 - 18 knots realistic, if i had to choose one kite only it would be a 14 meter, wouldnt waste your baggage charges on a 9 meter, you wont need it!

You haven't been using your 9 lately? Lots have in Hua Hin...

I've seen Willy's graphs too. You can't really take just a few months readings to make statistics. There are gaps in measurements and the station was not calibrated for a while.

BTW, did you know that their wind sensor is systematically knocked down by the wind whenever it reaches 25 knots?
No wonder ! :jump:
Only kidding . :lol:

Alex

Last edited by alexrider on Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:04 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I thought you were in Bali, Alex? I sent an email through this system but I guess it didn't get there :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:08 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Kamikuza wrote:
I thought you were in Bali, Alex? I sent an email through this system but I guess it didn't get there :)

I am avoiding the rain :cool2: .
Simply put: June to October, Indonesia (from Bali to Rote) and Thailand during the NE winds. And a couple of months in between back home in Europe.

Try PM me again. For some reasons, I've been missing a few.

Cheers

Alex

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:15 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

alexrider wrote:
Toby wrote:
talking about the 12 as my small, high wind kite...for sure 14-16-19 will be with me...

Fine then. I'll lend you my 8 or 10 for the odd days.

14-16-19 : quite of overlapping? You dig the sweet spot, don't you?

thx for the offer, but for that I can use the 14.

14 is a replacement if 16 breaks, and for stronger winds. Basically 16 is my main ki9te, barely ride anything else, nor want to ride anything else. I never ride 8 or 10, since for my style it does nor work, I cannot use it for any tricks. And won't go out at 30+ knots...I can only get hurt and I will never progress. And it has no float! And I am trying to base my tricks on such float to make them look nice. You will see ;-)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:55 pm 
Medium Poster

Any news from Hua Hin about the wind these days??

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:08 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

the wind was good SE, then turned to NE and dropped for 2 days.
Turned back to SE during today, and should be good from tomorrow on.
The wind should be twice as strong as forecasted on windguru according to locals.
So tomorrow we should see 16-18 knots. Good enough for the freestyle comp at the PKRA Asia.

And bring a ling lycra and long pants due to jellyfishes.

[ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3