Forum for travel reports and travel questions
surfdougyfresh
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Hurghada advice

Postby surfdougyfresh » Mon May 31, 2010 10:43 am

Ok, so a friend and I, avid kiters, will be traveling with our wives, non kiters, and 4 kids, 2 each, future kiters, to Hurghada in September. Been looking at Magawish for the kiting, but the wives are concerned that it won't be as comfortable as they'd like. Mixed reviews online. Can anyone outline the kiting situation in Hurghada? Can I stay at another resort and kite at Magawish? Any other resorts have a kiteable beach? Recommendations??

Thx.

sunnybeachboy
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sunny Beach, Bulgaria
Gear: slingshot octane14
Nobile Shinn 2007

Re: Hurghada advice

Postby sunnybeachboy » Mon May 31, 2010 12:56 pm

I was in Hurghada 3 years ago, and rode at Magawish. It's a very good place for kiting. You can stay at everyone hotel in Hurghada and travel to Magawish by taxi (mini-buses). They are very cheap (about $1) but you have to маке hard bargaining every time. There are a lot of good hotels, but only 5 stars are good, because their 5 stars hotel are like Europian 3 stars. Non kiters can swim, dive, go to aquapark, go to excursions to pyramids or Alexsandria. Or if they don't want do go to Hurghada, they can stay at home, like my wive did :)
Last edited by sunnybeachboy on Mon May 31, 2010 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon May 31, 2010 1:03 pm

Magawish itself is ok for guys...but not family.

The spot is great if the sandbar is dry, so you get excellent flat water behind.

There are many spots in the area...check hotels there as well, and the area for kiting.

www.kitebeaches.com

El Gouna is nice, but gets pretty shallow water.
My personal favorite is Soma Bay, which has several hotels, and two kite centers, so you can choose.

tolvsbo
Medium Poster
Local Beach: where ther's wind
Gear: naish and nobile

Postby tolvsbo » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:22 pm

Been to Hurghada area twice

Magawish has excellent kiting, probably the best in the area if your are past the beginners stage. But wahtever you do stay away from tha hotel if you bring wife and kids!!! Horrible rooms, buffet food not-to-my-or-any-body-I-knows taste and a very interesting russian clientel wearing speedos to lunch in the diningroom.

Last time we stayed at Mövenpick in El gouna.
They have their own spot and you can get rooms 30 meters from the beach.
In my opinion a much better beginners spot and not crowded like Mangroove beach.
Drop the all inclusive and go for the surprisingly good thai resturant on the premises every night.
...or order reanonable decent roomservice if you have small kids and would like to stay in your room.

good luck

Return to “Travel”