Me and my girlfriend are looking for a windy spot this winter.
We are looking for some flat/medium wave water and a proper 20 to 35 knots everyday:)
We have been to the following spots already:
Antigua and Barbuda
Someone has the golden tip for a spot with at least 90 percent wind, beautiful environment and within a max 3500 usd a person budget for around a month including everything please post your advice:)
Thanks for the reply:)
Kitebeaches.com is the best website ever though windstatistics from windfinder/windguru aren't that much reliable. This is why i post here since the only place i really had wind 80 out of 90 days was brazil till now.
I was thinking about vietnam as well though heard the water in the mui ne area has got some nasty chop. It a serious considiration for sure. Anyone got some tips for the best kitespots in Vietnam and where to stay?
I never thought about Taiwan for kiteboarding purposes apart from the fact my pads are probably build there. Hows the wind and other conditions back there? Any locals?
p.s toby you're probably heading to cumbuco as always?:)
Hi, Im from spain but been there...in colombia there are some places, mainly in the north (atlantic-caribbean) coast. Been there 4 times and is safe, specially in the big cities. Nothing to fear other than the normal preventive things you do as a tourist in every place you visit.
In that coast you have:
- Puerto Velero, next to Barranquilla. Best option is to stay in barranquilla town in the north part (safer) of the city. You can also stay in tents in the kite school, very cheap and sleep in the spot. The south of the town is poorer and not so safe. 20 minutes to the spot. Flat water, a bit gusty in one side, safe spot with small launch area but not a problem, kite school in there, this is where you can find me in december
On the open sea (puerto velero is a big bay) is side-on shore and not gusty, chopy and small waves, beach is full of wood and things on that part which is bring by currents and the river.
wind from 18 to 25 sometimes more knots every day, maybe first days of season you have some 16 knots days but usually around that.
- Cartagena de indias. 1 hour from barranquilla. Beautiful and touristic town. Same wind than in Puerto velero but weaker, side-on choppy conditions. Kite schools in Playa America
- Cabo de la Vela. Havent been there yet but is the BEST place to go. Its a desert, far from civilization. 6-7 hours by car from barranquilla. Best is to go with a group by minibus, you can stay in wood houses in the same spot. Flat water, offshore but constant wind. Paradise
- Calima lake (inland next to Cali town). Gusty wind, flat water
- San andres island. You have to get a plane, small but great island. Stay in your hotel where you can kite directly in front of the spot in the town, and you can do a downwind to the "acuario". Turqueise water, and flat to small chop. Beautiful...When i was there i used my big kite (11m bow i had then)
Some links in youtube:
This is me 2 years ago when i first went there in December. Puerto velero, cartagena and San andres in the video:
Acuario in San andres:
Cartagena de Indias:
Cabo de la Vela:
If you decide to go in December i will 99% probably i will be in Puerto Velero and some days in Cabo de la Vela, let me know and we will meet there