All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Latest Luggage Regulations on Kite Gear
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:28 am 
Rare Poster

Hey Everyone. So I am going to Brazil next month and I just bought a "Dakine Airwagon" for a good price on Craigslist. It's 160cm. So, next thing I did was print all the regs on luggage size for the 3 airlines I am using (American, Korean, Tam) and they all consider luggage to be oversized if it's longer than 157/158cm! I have to assume this means that I may get dinged for using my new bag on every leg of my trip. American says that charge $150 for anything > 158cm. I am taking them for my first leg, SFO to LAX. The other airlines also have charges for > 157 though not as severe. I am no math genius, but extrapolating the price for every leg of my trip, it seems like I am going to end up paying 500 to 800 in luggage charges for round trip from SFO to LAX with this bag. The thought of it is making me dizzy and I may fall over face first.

Does anyone else have any insight on this? I am considering buying yet another bag, a golf bag with smaller dimensions. My board is a 148 so I could do a 150cm bag, but that means buying a new one! Any experience or reccomendations?

Thanks!

Jon

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Latest Luggage Regulations on Kite Gear
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:50 am 
Very Frequent Poster

since your board is shorter, you can bend your bag and it will be shorter than 160 anyway...only important for the first check-in...just push the tip of the bag down, and they can measure it if they want...I don't see it as a problem.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:17 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

BTW - when I arrived to Brazil I met two kiters, former windsurfers, with according bag...2.5m long, but taped it so it only was 140. No problem...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:03 pm 
Rare Poster

Toby wrote:
BTW - when I arrived to Brazil I met two kiters, former windsurfers, with according bag...2.5m long, but taped it so it only was 140. No problem...

This is great info Toby - thanks! Hope to run into you in Cumbuco I'll be there 11/16 - 21, then moving north.

[ 4 posts ]