All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: madagascar (mon amour)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:09 am 
Frequent Poster

Why Madagascar
(1) I fell in love with this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IxS5cexSzc
(2) I have been working on my wind scheme for 1,5 years. For October, Mada has the highest wind guarantee (next to Brasil); 32 C air temp, water: 27C; wind 25-40 knots
(3) lust for pure, wild adventure. Already been to Brasil 2x, wanted something else.

COSTS: ticket Paris Cdg-Nose Be (Madagascar): Euro 875. On website opodo.fr E 762,50. Visa costs 0 Euro at the airport of Mada. Costs of bungalow/apartment in Nose Be: Euro 30/night. Costs of bungalow in Sakalava Baie E 28/night. If you choose to stay at the local people, costs per night would be not more than 9 Euro. Rate: 5000 Ariary (Ar) = bit more than 2 Euro. Transfer from the airport to your hotel 12 Euro. Taxi trip from your hotel to Hell town (biggest town in Nosy Be) 2 Euro. Luxurous dinner: 12.000 Ar. If you stay/eat with the local African or French people prices are half or a quarter of the above mentioned.

:evil: WIND :evil: : average wind in October is between 27 en 35 knots. Often in the afternoon its far over 35/40 knots. A non windy day means 14 knots.

PLACES VISITED: Nosy Be, Ankify, Diego Suarez, Mer d’ Emeraude. Transport on land: all by “taxi brouse”, which means a fan which local people use all over the country. The plane back home made a 5 hour stop in Reunion. We went nuts on this French “cote d Azur” island, bit drunk too.

THE STORY…….…
Girls experience trips in a different way. This trip I made with Flower (25), a Spanish photographer who finished art school in Madrid. The CHEAPEST ticket was with Air Austral. Air Austral really knocked me out with their service and French food: drinking wine in glasses (no plastic), thick salmon piece, Camembert, pure chocolate mousse, bon bons, free toothbrushes, free socks, ear & eye plugs. Flower declared that it “is, was and will be” Air Austral forever!. We arrived like brats in the lodge of the only kite school on the Island. Markus, kite school owner speaks 5 languages and was super helpful for the rest of our trip www.nosybekitesurf.com. The kite spot is at Manga Be, wind starts blowing side onshore after 13.00 hours and is not very strong (14-17 knots). The white sandy beach of Manga Be is an empty bounty beach. No tourists here. We were the only 2 persons walking on this pure white sand beach. After 2 days we left for “la grande terre”, meaning main land Madagascar. Buying a ticket for the ferry is a true strangle. Ticket for the speedy boat costs 20.000 Ar and for a kite bag 10.000 Ar. The boat trip from the Island of Nosy Be to the mainland was a dream of 45 minutes, so unreal. http://www.lonelyplanet.com/madagascar/ ... ar/nosy-be.
If you arrive at Ankify you experience your surroundings as if you had been using too much party drugs & pills. The soil is orange/red. Trees do not look like the ones you know, they all have weird shapes. The animals look like my childhood teddy bears which have come alive. The faces of the local people are a perfect mixture of Malaysian, Arab and negro features. Some have Chinese grey eyes, very narrow Arab shaped noses (M. Jackson would murder for this) and dark chocolate skins, full lips.
The woman are truly pretty. You never have to carry your heavy kitebag anywhere because there are thousands of hands which want to help for just a little money. Mada is one of the poorest countries in the world. Diego Suarez looks like this: http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/xbo ... oId=x2ffbs. The kitespot in Diego Suarez is named Baie de Sakalava. It is a huge lagune with a reef at sea, knee deep water, with only 12 kiters. A most perfect beginner spot, better than Guipe lagoon in Cumbuco, Brasil but with stronger wind than in Ilha do Guijuro. The color of the water is dark blue. There is much weed in the water so partly colored dark. The lagoon has a tide which makes that at low tide half of the lagoon falls dry so that you can only kite at the other half of the lagoon or in the sea. The water in the lagoon is flat, waves start behind the reef. Reading kiteforum.fr made me do a due diligence of any wild life in the lagoon. I hate morenes (sea snake) or any wild life and for 2 days Flower and I have been pushing sticks in holes which we saw in the sand on the bottom of the lagoon. I can assure you that there are no animals, not even fish swimming in the lagoon. Only weed. The experienced kiters go way up to the reef to kite. Beginners and low intermediates( like me ) have all the space of the world. There are 2 hotels: Sakalava lodge and Royal Sakalava. The kite school is at Baie de Sakalava. In both hotels 90% percent of the guests are kiters and windsurfers. The kite school is run with absence of love for kiting/windsurfing and the quality of the lessons was poor. The lessons are overbooked. I heard that there might be some change in the near future (if so I will post this). Royal Sakalava is run by a Chinese family. 28 Euro/night for a small bungalow, with no fridge, poor bath room with hardly any running water is too high. The food in the restaurant however is ok. Prices: 8000 Ar (3 Euro) for entrees, 13000 Ar for meal and 4000 Ar for any desert. Next to the Royal Sakava hotel you can eat in sheds what the African fishing men catch. You can order for the afternoon fish, Langoste, jelly fish for dinner, and then the fisherman go out for your dinner and 2 hours later you eat really fresh fish. For a huge Langoste and a big fish with rice and salad I paid 6000 Ar (2,20 Euros) ttp://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/phot ... .561433505. Prostitution is all over (accepted). The cab driver told me that the price for a night with a girl is 4 Euro. Both hotels are situated quiet isolated from Diego. Because the wind was strong and my harnass a bit too big, I was not able to launch and land my kite solely and needed help of someone pulling at the grip at the back of my harnass. I really learned to enjoy these 30/35 knots. I was always overpowered with my 6 mtr Cabrinha. All men (72 kilos) had 6 mtr kites, some 7 mtr. Really don’t know how I managed to kite with my poor 49 kilo’s. Flower gave me the nick name: mosquito. Flower made amazing pictures and films, her fingers were glued to the camera for 2 weeks….

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: madagascar (mon amour)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:23 am 
Frequent Poster

disclaimer: :evil: the story is written fast. readers on forums read fast as well. don t pick on me if you read 1 or 2 words in a strict/narrow way (interpretation). no insult is meant to any one, or whatever (etnic) group whatsoever. it is a fast transmission of my 1st thoughts about a beautiful country. :evil:

[ 2 posts ]