Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Spectacular 2 week trip in Caribbean in April to top Brazil?

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
Goldmember
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Spectacular 2 week trip in Caribbean in April to top Brazil?

Postby Goldmember » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:17 pm

Hello Kite Travelers :D ,

What would your 2 week fantasy kite trip look like for the Caribbean in April ?

Looking for your suggestions & advice – we are thinking of 16th to 30th April (over Easter).

Have been doing plenty of research over the past 2 weeks (trawling through old posts on KF) and our prioritised short list is looking like:
1. Grenadines / Union Island or Carriacou - just watched Jeremie T's travel video - looks great. Travel to and from Union via Grenada looks OK from Holland.
2. Curacao - Seems to offer good Wind, Easy & cheap to get to from Holland, not too sure about the spectacular kiting part?
3. Los Roques / Isla Tortuga - Looks & sounds fantastic (thanks to posts we have read and Jeremie and his travel video) but maybe a bit basic for the wife and it seems a hassle to get to, think we need to go through Caracas which is looking more sketchy by the day.
4. The Rest (as easy-ish to get to) - St Maarten, Aruba, Bonaire, Barbados, Grenada, Martinique. (St Lucia would be here except very expensive to get to in April).

Ideas for any other spots also greatly appreciated, as is of course ideas for making the most out of the above short list. If this helps, our criteria are something like this:
1. Kiting wise, she likes no crowds, flat water, roomy & safe launch areas. He likes wind (at least 20knots, as 90+kg and hates big kites), medium waves for directional board, flat water.
2. Accommodation does not have to be full on luxury, but 'nice' and preferably at a kite-able beach (or short walk or boatride away - do not want to have to drive). Part land based/ part boat based safari also seems like a cool way to go.
3. Looking for a spectacular trip to match or top NE Brazil - Our Kite Trip ‘reference points’ come from: NE Brazil (Coast around Prea/Jeri) - been twice, the best we have found! / Egypt (Interconti Soma Bay) / Cabo Verde (Sal) / Boracay / Australia (NSW coast).

All replies greatly appreciated,

Cheers :thumb:

TheKiteLife
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Playa Copal, Costa Rica. Mancora, Peru. Maui, Hawaii. The Gorge. Miami, Florida. Heineken Beach, St.Croix, Paros, Greece, Cape Town, South Africa
Brand Affiliation: Gabes Kite Life, Transcend Kiteboard Apparel, Blade Kites, Royal Kites, The Kite Life

Re: Spectacular 2 week trip in Caribbean in April to top Bra

Postby TheKiteLife » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:58 pm

Here are my thoughts/insights:
Grenadines are very pretty and good for kiting. But 2 weeks there might be a little long. If you do choose to go here, try to charter the boat there (I believe Moorings and/or Footloose have a base there now). As the sail from St.Lucia to the Grenadines is quite long and with some decent size ocean passages.

I personally am not much of a fan of the Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao region. While the wind is good and the water is clear, I find the islands themselves not that interesting. Quite touristy. Unlike the more tropical islands up the chain.

I havent been to Los Roques to sail, but my initial reaction would that it could be a pain in the ass. Having to deal with immigration, possible crime and all that. I just feel there are other better places to sail.

A few years back, we did a 2 week trip starting in Guadaloupe, up to Monserat, to St.Kitts/Nevis, to St. Martin and St.Barths. Our goal was more exploring than kiting, but we got plenty of kiting in. All those islands are quite different in culture and landscape, so we got to experience many different things. But we were on a private yacht and started/finished in St.Croix, Virgin Islands. So not sure exactly how you would charter a boat for this exact route up the chain (as you would have to return the boat). But you may be able to do a point to point from St.Lucia up to Tortola.

Feel free to hit me up for more info at gabe@thekitelife.com or just reply on here.

Happy kiting,
Gabe

Zenith Ocean Voyages
Rare Poster
Local Beach: anywhere on the oceans - offshore! see where we are on www.zenithoceanvoyages.com

Postby Zenith Ocean Voyages » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:00 pm

We at Zenith Ocean Voyages do a catamaran trip in the Grenadines from April 18-28. Check out our website for more info.

Looking at your criteria, I think the Grenadines would be perfect for you and your wife. There's both waves and flat water, no crowds, and stronger winds than elsewhere in the Eastern Caribbean. However, you do need a boat to get to the spots.

I would not spend time in Grenada to kite. It's an interesting and beautiful island but the kiting is much better elsewhere.

Curacao has some nice kitespots (most notably, the island of Klein Curacao) but you wouldn't get the variety of scenery you can find in the Grenadines.

Contact us at zenithoceanvoyages@gmail.com if you'd like more info on these locations.

Goldmember
Rare Poster

Postby Goldmember » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:58 pm

Gabe & Zenith,
Thanks very much for the helpful info.
Will be in touch via email.
Cheers :thumb:

TheKiteLife
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Playa Copal, Costa Rica. Mancora, Peru. Maui, Hawaii. The Gorge. Miami, Florida. Heineken Beach, St.Croix, Paros, Greece, Cape Town, South Africa
Brand Affiliation: Gabes Kite Life, Transcend Kiteboard Apparel, Blade Kites, Royal Kites, The Kite Life

Postby TheKiteLife » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:23 pm

Well I was trying to give accurate info with no shameless plug...but if my competition is going to...then to let you know, we offer Caribbean Kite Cruises, but in the British Virgin Islands. Feel free to email for info in general if you want, and you can also check out all our kite cruise options at http://www.thekitelife.com

-Gabe

Return to “Travel”