Rare Poster
Style: free ride/ freestyle
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Whitesands wales

Postby nixiano » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:31 pm

hi,

i'm trying to book a holiday for me and my girl friend.

she rides waves, without a kite.
i like waves, but with a kite.

sooo, white sands looks good, as there are beaches all around there and a national park.
can you kite surf at white sands? i've googled it but not had much info on the place?
also what are the waves like there? i've heard good things, but it's always good to ask.

thanks very much.

mogthedog
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tenby
Favorite Beaches: fresh west
Style: waves
Gear: north rhino 2009 12M, 9M & 7.
D'light 5'10 x 18 1/4 custom surfboard and 5'10 2007 North Rocket fish and Large North Jaime pro 2007 and 2010 North raceboard

Re: Whitesands wales

Postby mogthedog » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:16 am

Hi,
I live in Tenby on the south coast of pembrokeshire and may be able to give you some advice.
Whitesands is a good beach for surfing, but I think it is a bit too enclosed to go kitesurfing there, your best bet is to go to Newgale beach, which is about 10 mile to the south of whitesands. here you have got a long sandy beach (there is no beach at high tide) It works well in Northerly (cross off) and SE (cross off) and everything in between.. further south you have broadhaven, then on the SW corner you have the famous surfing beach of Freshwater west, (this is not for the faint hearted) but it does provide the best waveriding both with and without a kite in Pembrokeshire and arguably Wales., further round the coast you have Tenby south beach, amroth and Pendine.

You can kitesurf on all these beaches all year round but there are zones during the summer which you have to abide by.

Any more info give us a shout.
Steve Stubbs..

nixiano
Rare Poster

Postby nixiano » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:49 pm

hi thank you very much for your help. :D

when you say Whitesands is too enclosed do you mean there are cliffs there and it's a sketchy place to kite, or that the wind just doesn't seem to blow?

i can happily kite in head high waves, nutter surf is probably a little out of my reach atm. are there beaches that offer all sorts of waves?
is there any flat water spots around, or is it pure surf?

how busy does the area get? we're are aiming to go in about 3 months time, to try and beat the school holidays, are there beach restrictions during this time? and how crowded is general area?

thanks again. :jump:

nixiano
Rare Poster

Postby nixiano » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:56 am

have decided on newgale now.

mogthedog
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tenby
Favorite Beaches: fresh west
Style: waves
Gear: north rhino 2009 12M, 9M & 7.
D'light 5'10 x 18 1/4 custom surfboard and 5'10 2007 North Rocket fish and Large North Jaime pro 2007 and 2010 North raceboard

Postby mogthedog » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:43 am

Pembrokeshire is a wonderful place as it never gets crowded with kiters, if you get 10 on the water at the same time it is rare. The beach restrictions will be in place in June I think, but they won't bother you as newgale is a huge beach with plenty of space for everyone. Just abide by the rules and you'll be fine.

Whitesands is landlocked by cliffs and the beach is to small to get a steady wind. Newgale is the place for you. it could be flat, it could be wavey it all depends on the ground swell at the time. It can get big there but the wave is soft in comparison to fresh west.

Enjoy your time in pembrokeshire ad respect the lifeguards and their restrictions, we don't want any of our beaches closed to kiters.. :D

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:57 am